City to hold work session

0
12

A proposal for a mandatory rental inspection policy for Manhattan is scheduled to be reviewed by the City Commission at 5 p.m. today during a work session at City Hall. The work session will be preceded by a special meeting to either approve or disapprove an engineering agreement between the city and HWS Consulting Group to improve the intersection of McCall Road and U.S. Highway 24.

The Rental Inspections Advisory Committee will present an outline of a draft ordinance to require the mandatory inspection of rental properties in three year cycles. A third of the properties will be inspected in year one, a third in year two and so on.

According to Tuesday’s agenda, the draft ordinance would require landlords to pay an annual $20 permit fee per rental unit. The money would cover operating costs.

Students are encouraged to attend the meeting to share anecdotes or opinions with the commissioners.

If the commission approves the engineering agreement at the special meeting, the intersection would be adjusted to meet at a 90-degree angle and two turning lanes on McCall Road and a new traffic light would be added.

The Kansas Department of Transportation has allocated $1 million of the $1.4 million needed to complete the project. Pottawatomie County has agreed to allocate $50,000. According to the agenda, more funding from the county is expected by city administrators.

The special meeting and work session will be broadcast live on local cable channel eight at 5 p.m.