Advanced voting closes today, City/School elections begin tomorrow

0
10

Riley County residents can vote in advance for the City/School elections until noon today. Regular voting in the election lasts from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at regular polling places.

Advanced voting is only available at the Riley County Clerk’s Office at 110 Courthouse Plaza.

Registered voters must vote at their respective polling place. Some voters’ polling places are different than in November’s national election, because school-district lines help determine the voting areas in the City/School elections but not the national elections, said Rich Vargo, county clerk.

Registered voters can find their respective polling place at myvoteinfo.voteks.org.

Registration for the election is closed, but voters who have registered to vote in Riley County for national or previous City/School elections will still be registered.

Manhattan voters will have several choices on the ballot including city commissioners, school board members and three special questions.

Eight candidates are running for three spots on the Manhattan City Commission. Three candidates are running to be a USD 383 Board Member.

The first special question on the ballot asks for a 0.10-percent sales tax increase to cover the costs of reconstructing the pool in City Park that would cost $8.4 million.

The second question also asks for a 0.10 percent sales tax increase to reconstruct swimming pools in Northview Park and CiCo Park. The two projects would cost an estimated $6.5 million.

The third question asks for a 0.05 percent sales tax increase to pay for the cost of designing and constructing a facility at Sunset Zoological Park that would include a ticket booth, zoo entrance, restrooms, educational classroom, public meeting spaces and educational animal holding and display facilities. The estimated cost would be $4.4 million.

If all of the special questions are approved, the city sales tax would increase from 7.3 to 7.55 percent and would change on Oct. 1.

Riley County residents outside of Manhattan will have several different options on their ballots. Several surrounding communities will be voting for a mayor, council members and school board members.