K-State falls in Texas after tough weekend

0
11

The K-State tennis team faced two tough road tests for the second consecutive week as it traveled to the Lone Star state to take on two ranked opponents in Texas Tech and Baylor.

The Wildcats (3-11, 0-7 Big 12 Conference) came into this past weekend matches in search of their first conference victory while riding a seven-game losing streak, with five straight losses in conference. With the consecutive losses this past weekend, the losing streak for the Wildcats currently sits at nine.

The Wildcats’ first match of the weekend featured a trip to Lubbock, Texas where the Wildcats fell to the No. 63-ranked Texas Tech Red Raiders (8-10, 3-4 Big 12 Conference) 6-1 at the McLeod Tennis Center. The Wildcats took advantage of a line-up change in doubles play as the Wildcats won two of three matches to secure the doubles point.

The Wildcats’ No. 1 doubles tandem of Antea Huljev/Nina Sertic defeated the No. 54 ranked doubles duo of Texas Tech 8-4. The Wildcats No. 2 doubles team of Mariya Slupska/Natasha Vieira also secured the doubles team point by winning their match 8-4. The third match saw the Red Raiders take back the momentum as they made sure the Wildcats did not have a clean sweep during doubles play, as the No. 3 doubles pair of Petra Chuda/Katerina Kudlackova lost 8-4.

Texas Tech quickly showed why it is ranked the No. 63 team in the nation by winning all six singles matches on its way to a 6-1 victory. Only two singles matches were pushed to a third set, as the Red Raiders were too much for the Wildcats to handle.

K-State had Saturday off before traveling across the state to Waco to take on the Baylor Bears yesterday. The No. 4 ranked Bears provided too stiff of a test as they shutout the Wildcats, winning 7-0 at the Baylor Tennis Center. The match featured Baylor winning all three doubles matches, and five out of six singles matches in straight sets.

The Wildcats have four more chances to win a conference match before the Big 12 Championships, starting this Wednesday in Lawrence as they are scheduled to visit the Kansas Jayhawks.