Life Week events educate and inform on pro-life issues

0
10

K-State Students for the Right to Life is hosting Life Week on the K-State campus today through Friday. Life Week will feature events throughout the week that raise awareness and provide information about pro-life issues the group focuses on.

Students for the Right to Life President Jennifer Wellnitz said the four main issues the group focuses on include abortion, embryonic stem cell research, the death penalty and euthanasia.

“A lot of students don’t know the facts and don’t work on becoming educated on the life issues,” said Wellnitz, senior in animal science and industry. “We want to get the facts out about the four main issues and also get the word out about our organization.”

The group has scheduled one event per day, starting Monday with a showing of “Juno” at 7 p.m. in the K-State Student Union Room 212. The director and founder of the Abortion Recovery Center in Topeka, Kay Lyn Carlson, is scheduled to speak on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Union Big 12 Room. Carlson had an abortion at 17 and now works as a social worker to help women throughout the nation who have had abortions.

Booths will be set up from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday with information and displays. Members will be available to talk and answer questions. On Friday, the annual Cemetery of Innocents display and ceremony is scheduled to take place. For this event, 360 crosses, each representing 10 aborted babies, will be displayed in the quad. They stand for the 3,600 babies aborted each day in the U.S. The ending ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. and include a 30-minute session of information, facts and a special prayer for the unborn.

Kristi Mendenhall, Students for the Right to Life vice president, said Life Week is about informing and educating others about the pro-life movement and the issues pro-lifers face.

“In order for us to take a certain stance or have a certain belief one way or another on any controversial issue, we all need to be informed,” said Mendenhall, sophomore in family studies, Spanish and pre-law.

William Kilian, senior in computer engineering, said he encourages students to come up and chat with group members because most of the events are just informational and fun.

“I think that no matter what you believe you should come out and just have fun,” Kilian said.

Wellnitz said the group has worked very hard at getting information and putting together the events. She said they are “very excited” for Life Week.

“Even if you’re pro-life or pro-choice, we would love to talk to you because we’re not here to argue,” she said. “We just want to share our story and get the facts out there.”