Class to display textile design projects

0
28

The Department of Apparel, Textiles and Interior Design is scheduled to present a display exhibit featuring projects by the Surface Design class starting Thursday. The exhibit, which will feature projects in display cases on the first and second floors of Justin Hall, will last until Sept. 10.

In Surface Design, students work with a series of processes and techniques to create their own projects, said Cosette Armstrong, graduate student in apparel, textiles and design.

“The idea behind the class is being exposed to a variety of techniques and then finding ones that complement our own design style,” Armstrong said.

Matt Kritis, graduate student in textile design, said the whole class was based on learning processes like all-over color dying and then applying them.

Armstrong and Kritis, along with two other graduate students, Erica Schrader and Andrea Kozar-Mendoza, will have two or three pieces each entered in the show.

Students created two projects during the semester – a yardage project and a final semester project. The yardage project featured pieces made with yards of fabric. Kritis said the goal for this project was to be able to repeat design and work with fabric.

For the final project, students were allowed to create anything including wall hangings, garments and many other different mediums. Students also did related pieces, like complimenting the yardage project with the semester project.

Throughout the semester, some students created visual journals that also will be displayed. The visual journals are similar to written journals, but will feature pictures of projects and pieces by students.

Kritis said Surface Design has been a great class that pertained to his interests.

“It was right up my alley,” he said. “I got to learn about the procedures and see which ones I liked the best.”

An exhibit reception is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Thursday and is open to the public.