Getting to Know Manhattan

0
34

Places to know

Medical

1) Lafene Health Center: 1105 Sunset Ave 2) Mercy Regional Health Center: 1823 College Ave

Official

1) Post Office: 500 Leavenworth St 2) Riley County Police Department: 1001 South Seth Child Road

Movies

1) Carmike Seth Childs 12: 2610 Farm Bureau Road

Good Eats

1) AJ’s NY Pizzeria: Less than a block from the mall, AJ’s boasts using an authentic New York Italian recipe that is more than 50 years old. AJ’s sells pizza by the slice or by the pie and offers a Sicilian pizza for thick crust lovers. 2) Harry’s: Named after Harry Pratt Wareham, this fine dining restaurant is a place to go when your parents are picking up the check. Situated in the historic Wareham Hotel, Harry’s offers a fine dining experience. 3) Vista Drive-In: Founded in 1964, this drive-in restaurant was voted Manhattan’s Best Hamburgers by the Manhattan Mercury Reader’s Choice Awards.

Late Night Saviors

1) Bob’s Diner: Home of the “big country breakfast,” Bob’s has a full menu but is best known for their breakfast served 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Bookstores

1) Claflin Books and Copies: This bookstore offers an on-staff veterinarian to assist customers in the Pet Care section. There are multiple sections to browse and books can be ordered by contacting the store.

Recreation

1) Bluemont Scenic Overlook: As part of Goodnow Park, this city-owned area is open to the public and offers a panoramic view of Manhattan. There are tables and parking available, and there is a trail down to the Hollywood-style letters that spell out the town’s name on the hillside. 2) City Park: This large park situated directly south of Aggieville offers students a chance to take a scenic break from the bustling streets of Manhattan. With baseball fields, a running path, tennis, volleyball and basketball courts, there is a lot to do.

Linear Trail: This public trail in Manhattan stretches the length of the city, running approximately 18 miles. The trail is not difficult to navigate and has flat-crushed gravel.

Aggieville Attractions

Java Fix

Radina’s: Known for their fresh-roasted coffee beans, this coffeehouse has free Wi-Fi and an extended room for talking with friends or studying away from campus. Bluestem Bistro: This small bistro offers a more upscale menu for the Aggieville diner. There is a lot of seating, which is often filled with students using the free Wi-Fi and eclectic menu.

Bookstores

Varney’s: Home of the Little Apple that drops each New Years, Varney’s is the official bookstore of K-State, housing all the books students will need The Dusty Bookshelf: Since opening their doors in Aggieville in 1985, this bookstore had to change locations twice to accommodate the more than 70,000 books that line the walls.

Good Eats

Hibachi Hut: has been serving a traditional Cajun/Creole and American menu since the late 1950s. During their Fat Tuesday Celebration, frog legs and alligator piquant are among the foods offered at the buffet. So Long Saloon: Another award-winning restaurant for best burger, So Long is a staple of the Aggieville scene. Get there early to avoid a long wait in this small restaurant and bar.

Late Night Saviors

Gumby’s Pizza: One of the last stops between the ‘Ville and housing around the east side of campus. Gumby’s delivers to all the residence halls and is open until 3:30 a.m. Thursday-Saturday. Pita Pit: Long lines are common as the bars close since Pita Pit sits in the heart of Aggieville. Open until 2:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday and 3:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday.