Watermelon Feed provides Ag students with club choices

0
77

Students jumped at the opportunity to eat free food and sign-up for agriculture clubs Tuesday evening as the annual College of Agriculture Watermelon Feed took place in the front yard of Weber Hall.

The watermelon feed is done every year for students to come and eat free watermelons and sign-up for various agricultural clubs. This year, 25 clubs set up their booths, signs, billboards, free items and sign-up sheets for any new students looking to be a part of the K-State agricultural life.

Different clubs included the Feed Science Club, the Dairy Science Club, the Wheat State Agronomy Club, the Collegiate Cattlewomen Club and the Grain Science Club.

The K-State Collegiate Agri-women used free cookies as another incentive for female students to sign-up for their club, while others gave away free pens and Frisbees to try and entice new members.

“It’s a great way to recruit the new freshman and transfer students that are looking for a way to get involved,” said Miles Theurer, junior in animal science and industry and agriculture council president.

With all of the different clubs having their sign-up booths and students walking around Tuesday evening, students were encouraged to eat free watermelon that was donated by Harder Farms.

“Students get to see all the different activities that are going on,” said Nicole Rosencutter, senior in animal science pre-veterinary. “Every club has set a booth in the college of Agriculture, so all the freshman can see all the activities and see what they want to be involved in.”

While students might be overwhelmed with all the different opportunities available to them, each club has different aspects to offer students. One club in particular offers vital ways to meet and get acquainted with possible future employers: the National Argi-Marketing Association.

“We’re a student chapter and we have a parent chapter in Kansas City,” said Paul Juenemann, senior in agriculture business. “We go to competitions with a business plan and a marketing plan. It’s just a good chance for students to meet people in the Agri-marketing industry and build those networks.”

The association is a club that any student can sign up for and only meets a few times a week, Juenemann said.

“I signed up last year and I’m a fifth-year senior this year,” Juenemann said. “We have a class that meets two days a week, and our NAMA club just brings different people from the agriculture industry to come and speak.”

“I have a friend who’s in agriculture and I thought I’d come and check it out,” said Tanner Strathman, freshman in finance. “The free food is great and it’s good food, there’s a lot of people to mingle with. It looks like a good opportunity to get out there and see what’s available.”