Kansas State cross country to compete at University of Missouri

0
21

The K-State Cross Country team will compete at Missouri State on Saturday. At the last meet, the men won first place and the women tied for second.

The team members hope to improve upon their performance for this week’s meet.

“The practices have been going well, really well,” said coach Michael Smith.

Saturday’s competition will be stronger, but he said he does not feel like it will be at the Big 12 Conference level.

“On the women’s side, we don’t know how good we are,” Smith said. “We’ll get a better idea.”

The team has been practicing relentlessly to improve times and stamina. Wins at Missouri State will come harder than the ones at Wichita State.

Beverly Ramos, senior in physical science, did not participate in the Wichita State meet. She said she hopes to run on Saturday.

“I just want to have a good start,” Ramos said. “I always try and go for the win and we’ll see what happens.”

“The tremendous success of our cadets has led to the population of ROTC,” Bridegame said. “The Wildcat Battalion is one of the top programs in Kansas and we graduated 39% last year while the national average is only 17 percent.”

The enrollment has changed the way the ROTC works, said Chris Connell, junior in animal science and industry.

“The new groups that come in allow us to change the structure of how we set everything up,” Connell said. “We have different formations and there are a lot of opportunities to have a leadership role.”

Meyer.

The members of the Air Force ROTC were then shown a video over the importance of the airman’s creed.

“We normally don’t do this type of thing, but today is a special day,” said Frieb. “Normally we have various leadership activities and we work on marching, briefing and presentations.”

After several videos, a routine presentation on the importance of swine flu and a PowerPoint on the history of the USAF given by Cadets Riggs and Rhoades, the corpsmen were lined up for a march to the Vietnam and POW War Memorial next to McCain Auditorium.

Wing Commander Ferguson then gave a dedication to the soldiers that had died in Vietnam and those that had gone missing in action.

“The importance of this memorial is significant to your futures in the United States Air Force,” Ferguson told the gathered cadets, “This memorial is to remember those soldiers who graduated from K-State and died serving their country.”

At the end of the ceremony the cadets then took down the flag.

After the ceremony the event was concluded with a cake cutting and ice cream party held back in Gen. Richard B. Meyers Hall.

of Sound Music located in Aggieville. They cost $12 for Friday and $15 for Saturday. Each ticket is an all-access pass for the day.

The ticket will qualify people to be entered in a drawing for prizes. Attendees will receive a wristband according to age – one for minors and one for persons age 21 and older.

“I think it will be awesome,” said Dustin Lacey, junior in business. “I really like to find and listen to new music from all these local bands. Aggiefest is a really neat music festival.”

More than 100 local and regional bands are expected to play this weekend at several different Aggieville venues: Auntie Mae’s Parlor, PJ’s Pub, Bluestem Bistro, The Dusty Bookshelf, O’Malley’s, The Salty Rim, KatHouse Lounge and Triangle Park.