Cross country team places first at Missouri State meet

0
19

Beverly Ramos made her cross country return on Saturday by capturing the individual title at Missouri State. She had not competed at the first meet of the season due to her rigorous summer training but proved her absence did not hurt her.

“She has been working pretty hard,” said coach Michael Smith. Her time of 17:15.9 earned her the first-place finish.

Both the men’s and women’s teams took first place at the meet. It was a rare occurrence for both teams to place first in two back-to-back meets. The results were a product of healthy training and practice.

“It was better, collectively, as a team,” Smith said about the women’s squad. He emphasized that the team has not felt the pressure of Big-12-Conference competition yet.

Martina Tresch placed third at the meet with Sydney Messick behind her in fourth place. Boglarka Bozzay finished in eighth place, helping the team seal the victory. Top-ten finishes propelled the team to its second victory of the year.

On the men’s team, three freshmen runners placed at the meet. Armando Del Valle improved upon his third place finish at WSU to take second place at Missouri State. The meet was the first time he had ran an eight kilometer race.

“It was a good men’s race,” said Smith. However, Smith said the men’s team “has a ways to go” until it can compete at the Big 12 level.

The 8-km race helped prepare the team for the upcoming championship races, as it is the official distance of the championship run in the Big 12.

Missouri State is the scheduled location for the Midwest Regional Championship. Saturday’s meet helped the runners familiarize themselves with the course.