Eleventh-ranked Iowa State Cyclones beat Kansas State Wildcats in Ames, Iowa

0
3

The K-State volleyball team hung tough with another top-notch program on the road, but the team was overpowered by Iowa State and lost in three sets on Saturday in Ames, Iowa.

The Wildcats (6-7, 0-3 Big 12 Conference) pushed No. 11 Iowa State (10-3, 2-2) to the limit, but lost in three sets at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa, by scores of 25-15, 25-22 and 25-23.

Junior outside hitter Vanessa Murray led K-State with 12 kills and a .478 hitting percentage, but the Wildcats were unable to match the Cyclones’ high-octane offense, which posted a blistering .327-hitting percentage on the night. The Cyclones hit above .300 in each set and were led by Rachel Hockaday and Victoria Henson, who posted 13 and 12 kills, respectively.

Iowa State appeared to have the upper hand in the opening set, winning 25-15 and holding K-State to just seven kills, while forcing six errors. They jumped out to an 11-point lead and staved off a Wildcat comeback attempt to grab a 1-0 lead.

But K-State did not go quietly in the ensuing set. The teams battled in the second set, and K-State got within a point at 23-22, but Iowa State scored back-to-back points to clinch the set and a 2-0 lead. The third and final set was similar to the second, but the Wildcats could not capitalize on a late 23-21 lead as the Cyclones reeled off four straight points to complete the sweep.

With the loss, K-State fell to 0-3 in Big 12 play for the second time since the conference was created in 1996. Things will not get any easier for the team in its next action. After a bye on Wednesday, the team will try to break the win column in league play when No. 2 Texas visits Manhattan on Friday. First serve is set for 7 p.m.