Beverly Ramos dedicates herself to the Kansas State cross country team

0
84
Beverly Ramos, runs in the K-State vs. Kansas dual in September, 2007. Ramos won the 5-kilometer race. Now a senior, Ramos said she hopes to qualify for the NCAA tournament this year. (Collegian Courtsey Photo)

Beverly Ramos, one of the women’s cross country team’s two seniors, is the team’s premier runner. Her career began in Puerto Rico where she went to the University of Puerto Rico and competed internationally. However, Ramos wanted to come to a university in the United States. “There are great opportunities in the U.S.,” said Ramos, a senior in physical science. She also said she wants to develop better English skills to help her in the future and aims to go to pharmaceutical school with a master’s degree. The resources in the United States are also better suited to help athletes. “[Puerto Rico] doesn’t have too much budget,” Ramos said. “There’s more money that can support athletes [in the United States]” Lysaira del Valle, former K-State teammate, was also from Puerto Rico and after talking with del Valle, Ramos became interested in K-State. Coach Michael Smith noticed her abilities long before she was interested in K-State. “I saw her run when she was 15 in Canada,” Smith said. “We watched her from afar.” Since coming to K-State, Ramos has proven to be a valuable asset to the team. She began her cross country career as a Wildcat by winning her first competition during the 2007 season. She also came in 29th in the Big 12 Championship run that year and placed 16th at the Midwest Regional Championship. Ramos has strong expectations for this season. “I have expectations – November expectations,” she said. Her goal is qualify for the NCAA tournament. While she hopes to perform well individually, she devotes herself to the team. Ramos strives to set an example for new runners. “Just trying to do my best, it teaches everybody and they see that it takes time,” Ramos said of her contribution to the team. Her teammates admire her for her dedication. “She’s an incredibly good teammate, really focused,” said Boglarka Bozzay, sophomore runner. “She’s the heart of the team I think.” Smith said her team-first attitude is an endearing quality. “The most telling thing is that what she wants more than anything else is for her team to do well,” he said. While at K-State, Ramos has become a stronger athlete. “She’s matured physically, emotionally, and her work capacity has increased,” Smith said of her development. “Let’s face it: she’s a gem.” The cross country team will compete Saturday at the South Dakota Invitational. Competition there is expected to be tougher than previous competitions this year. The team is hoping to use the meet as a gauge for their skill level. “I want to find out how good we are,” Smith said. Last meet, Ramos took home the title for the 5K run. Smith said Ramos will be greatly missed by the team next year. “The total Ramos package will be very difficult to replace,” he said. “But that’s the nature of [cross country].” For Ramos’s last year, Smith hopes she achieves her goals, one of which is to become an All-American athlete.