Women’s cross country team does well at Indiana State invitational

0
14

The cross country team had a productive weekend at the Pre-National Invitational Saturday at Indiana State. Several female runners placed individualy as the women’s team took 14th place.

The meet provided a glimpse of the upcoming conference meet. More than 100 teams attended the meet with strong competition from seven Big 12 Conference schools.

In the meet, teams were divided into two pools with each pool having 13 ranked teams. K-State ran against ranked, Big 12 teams, Iowa State and Nebraska.

“It was a good meet against quality teams,” said coach Michael Smith. “It went pretty well.”

The team was pleased to place at the meet after failing to place at the South Dakota State Invitational two weeks prior, Smith said. Teams at the meet were the strongest competition the cross country team had faced this year.

“It’s useful to have high expectations going into Big 12 competition,” Smith said.

Beverly Ramos, senior and star runner for the women’s team, finished in sixth place at the meet. Sydney Messick, junior, also placed in the meet, coming in 19th out of all the runners.

The women ran a 6-kilometer race, which was the first time they ran that distance this year.

On the men’s side, though, they did not race in a competitive meet. They ran in a noncompetitive race which allowed them to focus on their individual skill levels, Smith said.

“They’re young, developing guys,” he said.

The team holds high expectations for the Big 12 Championship in two weeks.

“We can be a top-half team,” Smith said. “We have the people to do it.”

The team used the meet to prepare for the Big 12 Championship meet scheduled for Oct. 31. Following the Big 12 Championship, the team looks to run in the Midwest Region championship Nov. 14.