Amber alert lifted, suspect in custody

0
19

An Amber Alert case from Wednesday for Tara Renee Simhiser, 17, has resulted in an arrest and Simhiser’s placement in protective custody, according to a report from the Riley County Police Department.

Simhiser, a Marion County, Kan. resident, had been missing since Tuesday and was found safe in northeast Kansas after being dropped off at a bank, and a suspect is in custody, said Lt. Herbert Crosby Jr. of the RCPD. A bank employee recognized Simhiser on Thursday morning and contacted police, who took the girl into protective custody, Crosby said.

The suspect, Rojelio Hernandez, 21, was detained while he was driving in his car, shortly after Simhiser entered the bank, according to the report. Hernandez was suspected of entering local high schools and acting as a transfer student looking to enroll in September, according to an RCPD report from earlier this month.

Woman charged with removal of theft device

A Manhattan woman was arrested Thursday on an outstanding warrant from Pottawatomie County and charged with battery, theft, criminal trespassing and unlawful removal of a theft detection shielding device, according to another RCPD report.

Kasey Lea Owensby, 22, of 2500 Farm Bureau Road, was arrested for removing a theft device from merchandise at Wal-Mart on Sept. 8, Crosby said. Owensby was involved in a physical confrontation following the original incident, according to the report.

Bond was set at $5,000.