K-State ideal for concealed carry

0
17

Editors:

I agree with Chuck Fischer’s statements about conceal and carry. Having been faced with an aggressor on campus who waved a gun in my face, it is easy to see why I would endorse the effort.

The funny thing about this is K-State would rank high in schools where the students would be skilled and trustworthy with a gun and it would rank low in the likelihood of a shooting death.

Even in my endorsement of conceal and carry, there are a few points to be made:

1) “… attending a class that teaches you proper handling and safety measures …”

In college, you have seen people who somehow pass but don’t really know a thing. Instead of emphasizing that there is a class and a test, maybe throw out how it is a rigorous class and test. It is hard to believe for many people that a government issued exam isn’t much more than a formality. I haven’t done the class or test, so I hope it is actually difficult.

2) “… people with a concealed carry license know how to safely and properly handle their firearms …”

Sure they know, but people will still have concern with the idea they may not behave according to what they know. I know a guy with a conceal and carry permit. Unfortunately, he also falls along the trigger happy stereotype.

Conceal and carry is great. You probably know the case study called “Texas.” For it to make any more progress concerns like these and many other need to be addressed. I didn’t feel that your work added to the effort, it mostly echoed the tired points that don’t get us anywhere.

go to college versus only 9 percent of those with low income.

-Tyrone Schurr 2008 K-State graduate

In comparison, he said 80 percent of American 10th graders of all races said they want to go to college.

“So it isn’t that people are saying, ‘Well I don’t want to do this,'” he said. “Its an issue of equity and fairness.”

Kaiser said this is where universities, in particular land-grant institutions such as K-State, have a role to address the educational needs of our changing demographics.

Kaiser pointed out K-State’s graduation rate of 54 percent of students within six years, and that this is a little better than the average but not much. He also said only half of the students who graduate from American universities end up with a bachelor’s degree.

These statistics point toward a failure in the American educational system, he said.

Kaiser urged the crowd that universities need to refocus their attention on the students instead of the institution’s own benefit.

He shared more statistics, showing that in 1996, students paid about 40 percent of universities’ total revenue. In 2006, students paid almost 74 percent of universities’ revenue. He said this is happening because universities are placing the shortcomings in state and other funding in the hands of students to make up the difference.

He noted a fiscal plan in accordance with the university’s mission is important.

“We spend too much time looking at fiscal annual budgets instead of long-term fiscal budgets and strategic planning,” he said.

He ended his presentation with a quote from C. Wright Mills, “The first lesson of modern sociology … [is] that the individual cannot understand his own experience…without locating himself within the trends of his epoch.”

“In leadership roles, as a team, we can’t proceed unless we understand the context in which we are operating in,” he concluded.

During the question and answer period, two questions were asked. The first was in regards to sustainability. Kaiser said at Portland State, he has helped manage $25 million to fund sustainability efforts on campus and student’s learning outcomes for each major, including sustainability concerns within their discipline.

The second asked him to explain his role as provost and how it relates to faculty and students.

He said as a provost, he would make sure to include the K-State community in discussions about important decisions the university is making, including university-wide general education learning outcomes. He followed by saying he would then assess if students are actually learning what they should be according to the set learning outcomes.

Farrell Webb, associate professor in family students and human services said although he enjoyed Kaiser’s philosophies on education, what he wanted was answers and solutions to the issues raised during the presentation.

“I did not hear any solutions,” he said. “What we need are solutions.”

Clyde Howard, K-State director of Affirmative Action, said he enjoyed Kaiser’s presentation.

“His vision for K-State is very clear,” Howard said. “Given the changing demographics, colleges and universities have to make sure they are preparing students, especially those who are historically underrepresented.”

Videos and candidate rating forms for all four candidates are available until Thursday evening at http://www.k-state.edu/provost/searches/.

The search committee will gather data including survey input and campus information and analyze the data. A list of qualified candidates will be provided to the president with strengths and weaknesses. Ultimately K-State President Kirk Schulz will make the final decision.