RCPD find probable suicide victim in cemetery

0
57

A local woman called the Riley County Police Department at 4 a.m. Monday to report there was a dead body lying just inside the gate of Sunset Cemetery, according to an RCPD report.

Upon arrival, police saw a deceased female, found to be Jan Garton, 59, of Ogden, Kan., said RCPD Capt. Kurt Moldrup.

Garton’s body had a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest, and she was laying with a small-caliber handgun, according to the report.

Moldrup said it was evident that Garton had shot herself after making the phone call.

Local man allegedly batters woman

A local man and woman got into an argument that turned violent Friday, according to another report from the RCPD.

A witness reported a black Camaro driving recklessly and stopping near the ramp on Seth Childs Road, with a struggle clearly going on inside, Moldrup said.

The suspect, Matthew Prayso, 41, battered the victim, a 45-year-old woman, after an argument, according to the report.

Prayso, of 512 Stone Drive, Apt. 3105, tried to strangle her, struck her with the vehicle and poured an alcoholic mixture on her, Moldrup said.

Prayso was being held on a $10,000 bond.

Local man reports assault at residence

Two witnesses reported that two suspects assaulted a man and stole his keys Sunday at 1:24 a.m., according to the RCPD.

A 44-year-old man said he was attempting to enter his house when two suspects tried to take his keys, Moldrup said.

Two witnesses heard the man yelling for help while they were out walking. The witnesses ran toward the yelling and saw the victim laying on the ground, with his head and face bleeding as a vehicle drove away, according to the report.

When the RCPD arrived, the victim described one of the suspects as a white man and said the other suspect was known to him, Moldrup said. The RCPD then attempted to locate the suspect who was known to the victim.

That suspect was Ben Puett, 38, of 14606 Roeser Road, Moldrup said. RCPD arrested Puett at Kansas Highway 18 on the Geary County Line, according to the report.

Puett and his accomplice allegedly struck the victim with their fists multiple times.

The victim was transported to Mercy Regional Health Center with injuries to the head and face, Moldrup said.

Man transported to Mercy after being struck by truck

A local man was struck by a truck Saturday, according to a report by the RCPD.

Glenn Garner, 44, of 1204 Yuma Street, was walking westbound across the intersection of Fort Riley Boulevard and Poliska Road, Moldrup said. Garner was struck by a 2007 Ford F-150, which was headed eastbound onto Fort Riley Boulevard, Muldrop said.

The vehicle was driven by Carmencita Kiser, 60, of Junction City, according to the report.

Garner was transported to Mercy Regional Health Center with a large cut to the left side of his head and an injury to his left ankle, according to the report.

Moldrup said no citation was issued, and the victim was jaywalking.

Local man reports aggravated assault

A local man reported to the RCPD he was the victim of aggravated assault Saturday, according to another RCPD report.

Jason Powell, 28, was working as a security guard at Dillard’s, 102 Manhattan Town Center, when he saw a suspect stealing $98 worth of men’s clothing, according to the RCPD report.

Powell attempted to stop the individual but the man fought him, ran away and tried to run Powell over with his vehicle, Moldrop said.

The suspect fled, but Powell was not injured.

Woman reports sexual assault Saturday

A 20-year-old woman reported to the RCPD that she was sexually assaulted at 12:30 a.m. Saturday, according to another RCPD report.

The woman said she and the suspect, who is known to her, were together at a residence in southeast Manhattan, Moldrup said.

Moldrup said the suspect touched her without her consent.

Business reports stolen Skidloader

A local business reported to the RCPD that $22,200 worth of items were stolen or damaged Friday night, according to another RCPD report.

McCullough Development, 510 Riley Lane, said one Bobcat Skidloader, worth $21,000, was taken, Moldrup said. Also, a chain link fence estimated at $1,200 was damaged, according to the report.