Man found dead in motel

0
36

A local man was found dead in a Manhattan motel yesterday from an apparent overdose, according to a report from the Riley County Police Department.

The RCPD received a call at 5:12 p.m. about an unresponsive man at the Westwood Motel, located at 2108 Fort Riley Blvd., said Lt. Herbert Crosby Jr. of the RCPD.

When police arrived, they found Carroll Eugene Glover, 37, who had been living at the motel, dead in his room, according to the report.

Crosby said the cause of death appeared to be a medical overdose, which seemed to be intentional because Glover had left a note.

An injury accident yesterday resulted in three people being transported to Mercy Regional Health Center, according to another RCPD report.

The three-car collision occurred on the 1000 block of Fort Riley Boulevard at 3:50 p.m., according to the report.

Crosby gave the following account of what happened: Robert McDiffett, 62, of Wamego, was driving westbound on the street in a 1997 Mack dump truck when he hit his brakes and slid left.

McDiffett crossed into the eastbound lane and hit a 2001 Dodge Ram. Benton Ensminger, 45, who was driving the eastbound vehicle, was pushed into a 2003 Toyota after the collision with McDiffett.

Ensminger, of Dwight, Kan., collided with the other vehicle, which was driven by Racheal Nekuda, 25, of 1016 Butterfield Road. Joy Spickelmier, 14, of 2500 Farm Bureau Road, Lot 314, was a passenger in Nekuda’s car.

Ensminger received cuts to his left arm and was transported to Mercy by ambulance, Crosby said. Both Nekuda and Spickelmier were also transported to Mercy by ambulance — Nekuda for head pain and Spickelmier for back pain, according to the report.

Crosby said no citations had been issued.

A Salina woman reported a burglary worth $16,030 in Manhattan, according to another RCPD report.

Carol Cooper, 29, reported that someone broke into her vehicle and took two diamond rings, worth $14,500, a makeup case and $180 in cash, Crosby said.

The burglary occurred at 1101 Moro St. sometime between 11 p.m. on Saturday and 3 a.m. on Sunday, according to the report.

A local teen reported a vehicle burglary, amounting to $1,410, according to another RCPD report.

Matthew Tredway, 16, of 3003 Tomahawk Circle, reported someone had broke into his car and stole his Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass guitar, a Fender hard guitar case and an iPod, Crosby said.

The incident allegedly occurred sometime between 9:30 p.m. Friday and 8 a.m. Saturday, according to the report.

“It looks like the vehicle was probably unlocked,” Crosby said.