Cats split road trip, fall to Creighton, beat BYU

0
8

While K-State students were preparing for Thanksgiving break, the women’s basketball team continued its path toward the Big 12 Conference season.

The Wildcats (2-3) left the friendly confines of Bramlage Coliseum for the first time this season to take on the Creighton Blue Jays (3-1) Nov. 23 in Omaha, Neb. The teams battled throughout the contest, but despite a late second-half charge, K-State could not overcome an early 19-point Creighton lead as they lost the contest 63-54.

Senior forward Ashley Sweat, who posted 33 points and 11 rebounds in the Wildcats’ win over Washington State one game before, could not repeat that success, as she was limited to two points and six rebounds in the contest. Freshman guard Brittany Chambers paced K-State with 14 points while senior guard Kari Kincaid and freshman guard Taelor Karr added 13 and 11 points, respectively.

The Blue Jays were led by Kelsey Woodward, who tallied a game-high 15 points, and also received double-digit scoring efforts from Megan Neuvirth with 12 points and Chevelle Herring with 10 points.

K-State looked to rebound when it traveled to Provo, Utah, for a matchup with the Bringham Young Cougars (3-2) Friday.

Once again, the Wildcats found themselves in a tightly contested battle, but this time K-State’s comeback attempt paid off as it came out on top 65-62.

For the second straight game, three Wildcats reached double figures in scoring as Sweat got back on track with 18 points to lead the charge. Karr followed with a career-high 17 points and Chambers tallied 16, including two crucial free throws in the game’s final seconds to secure the win.

BYU was led by Mindy Nielson with 13 points while Jazmine Foreman and Haley Hall added 11 and 10, respectively. The win marked K-State’s first road victory since a 71-61 win at Colorado on March 7.

K-State will wrap up its three-game road trip with a contest at Arkansas Wednesday. The Wildcats’ next home action is Friday when they host Grambling State in the opening round of the Commerce Bank Wildcat Classic.