Sweat leads Wildcats past Grambling State

0
13

In its first game of the Wildcat Classic Friday, K-State improved its season record to 3-4 with an 87-62 win over Grambling State. The large margin of victory gave the team a chance to breathe a little and work on individual aspects of the game.

“It was a great opportunity for us to continue to work on combinations, on some of the individual elements of the game that were very important and are going to be very important to us over time,” said head coach Deb Patterson. “It was a good experience for us to be able to compete without a good deal of stress on our shoulders every possession.”

K-State converted on several layups for fast-break points, and sophomore forwards Jalana Childs and Branshea Brown dominated the paint. However, Grambling freshman guard Kiara Marshall hit two threes early to keep it close before the Wildcats increased the deficit to 27-10 midway through the first half.

At the half, K-State had outscored the Lady Tigers 26-12 in the paint, and had 11 points off Grambling State’s 11 turnovers. The Wildcats turned it over four times, but the Lady Tigers only took advantage of it on one occasion.

Senior forward Ashley Sweat led the Wildcats with 11 points in only 14 minutes. Freshman guard Brittany Chambers had nine points in 13 minutes. For the Lady Tigers, Marshall and sophomore guard Jasher Blocker had nine points in the first half.

“Quality minutes in the post game today from Ashley,” Patterson said. “As we competed, she was constantly in position to want the ball and to impact the play.”

The Wildcats went on a 7-0 run that ended about midway through the second half with a three-pointer by sophomore guard Rachele Dobbins. Still the Wildcats had a 30-point lead.
In the postgame press conference, the ladies were reluctant to accept any credit for their performances.

“That’s just something that comes with experience,” Sweat said. “We had 30 assists. I think any post player that’s getting passes like I was getting tonight is going to be consistent.”