Wildcats will meet Saturday in Bramlage

0
8

For the first time in the recorded history of K-State women’s basketball, the purple and white Wildcats will face the purple and white Wildcats in Bramlage Coliseum.

The K-State Wildcats (4-4) are scheduled to play host to the Northwestern University Wildcats (6-2) in between a pair of tournaments.

The teams have played each other four times since 1983, both winning two games. In the last game, which was last season, Northwestern lost at home by five points to K-State.

Northwestern and K-State will face off with talented athletes on each side.

K-State has two players who have scored more than 100 points this season and own double-digit scoring averages.

Senior forward Ashley Sweat leads the team in scoring with 155 points for a .515 shooting percentage, earning her fourth place in the Big 12 Conference for points per game with 19.4. Sweat is also at the top of the team leader board for rebounds and free-throw percentage. Close behind her is freshman guard Brittany Chambers, who stands at 106 points with team-highs in shooting percentage and 3-pointers made. Both Sweat and Chambers have multiple rankings in the Big 12.

For the opposing team, junior center Amy Jaeschke will be Sweat’s biggest rival. Jaeschke has recorded 121 points, and her 4.3 blocks per game rank fourth nationally. At guard, senior Kristin Cartwright has tallied nine steals, a handful of blocks, Northwestern’s lone foul-out and is shooting nearly perfect from the free-throw line. Also expected to be a significant player is sophomore forward Brittany Orban, who has moved into second for points scored and third for assists.

Looking at team statistics, the numbers heavily favor K-State. For most totals, including field goal percentage, 3-point percentage, steals and points scored, K-State outranks Northwestern. The only major deficit against K-State lies in rebounds, where Northwestern’s 347 total rebounds vastly overshadow the 281 from K-State.

Both teams are meeting after earning wins in different contests. K-State recently claimed the Commerce Bank Wildcat Classic for the fourth time in a row after a late comeback against Missouri State in the championship game. Northwestern is leaving home after narrowly clinching a victory over Purdue by two points Sunday night.

Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. on Sunday in Bramlage Coliseum. K-State will head to Las Vegas after finals for the Duel in the Desert, with its first game against Hawaii.