Cats will face Oklahoma St. tomorrow

0
17

The Wildcats will take an undefeated conference record to Stillwater, Okla., tomorrow against the No. 15 Oklahoma State Cowgirls.

The Cowgirls (14-2, 2-0 Big 12) own the advantage at Gallagher-Iba Arena with a 12-10 record against K-State (10-6, 2-0) at home. However, the Wildcats hold the series lead at 27-26.

With the team coming off big wins against rivals Kansas and Missouri, freshman guard Brittany Chambers wants to lead the Cats to a big road victory.

“Oklahoma State’s a great team and we’re both 2-0,” she said. “We feel really motivated to play them and come out on top.”

The Wildcats may have surprised some people this year with so many young players. The team is currently on a season-high six-game winning streak. Three have come at home while the other three have come on the road.

Three of the Wildcats’ next five games will take place at home. Three of those opponents are in the top 25.

Chambers said she feels the team is working together well, which has helped them to a 10-6 overall record.

“It’s getting easier and easier everyday,” Chambers said. “It was hard at first, but we’ve worked really hard to get where we need to be.”

Chambers recorded a game-high 18 points in the win against Missouri on Wednesday. Fellow freshman guard Taelor Karr also had a big game, scoring 15 points, including three of five from beyond the arc. Chambers is the team’s second leading scorer with 13 points per game and is shooting 49 percent from the three-point line.

“My teammates were looking for me at the right time,” Karr said. “We started to execute on offense and we’re becoming more mature. We’ve got a tough matchup coming up against a lot of offensive weapons, but we’re going to keep scouting and seeing what happens.”

Karr also said she wants to do whatever the team needs her to do and knows she can score all night.

Senior guard Kari Kincaid is also putting in production this season. She has 3.5 assists per game and a 2:3 assist to turnover ratio.

The team will try to go 3-0 in the conference for the second time in three seasons Saturday in Stillwater. The 7 p.m. game will not be televised.

K-State’s next home game is Wednesday Jan. 20 against Colorado which will also tip at 7 p.m.