Patterson: Wildcats outplayed in loss to KU

0
9

Even with the absence of KU senior guard Danielle McCray, the Wildcats could not sweep the Jayhawks this season. The crowd and home court advantage were behind the KU 70-60 win.

McCray was a late scratch from the lineup after tearing her ACL in practice on Thursday. Her last year as a Jayhawk might now be over, leaving her atop KU’s all-time scoring list with more than 1,900 points.

The Sunday game was a challenge for the Wildcats. KU (14-7, 4-4 Big 12 Conference) was firing on all cylinders in the first half, while K-State (11-11, 3-5 Big 12) was sloppy and had trouble from the floor. McCray’s replacement, freshman guard Monica Engelman, took advantage of the spotlight and finished with a career-high 16 points.

“Danielle is a tremendous player and her loss is going to be felt not only by Kansas, but throughout this league because of the amount of respect everyone has for what she brings to the floor,” said K-State head coach Deb Patterson.

KU freshman forward Carolyn Davis had a double-double, etching in 14 points and 10 rebounds. KU outplayed the Wildcats in rebounds, 29 to 22.

Wildcat senior forward Ashley Sweat had only five first-half points and had a poor two-of-nine from the field. The Jayhawks led at halftime 36-26.

K-State was able to keep pace with the Jayhawks in the second half, cutting the lead several times. The Wildcats were only down by six at one point, but KU’s lead continued to grow.

“In the second half we played even, but KU shot 60 percent from the floor,” Patterson said. “We were outplayed today in the small phases of the game and in the physicality.”

Sweat finished the game with 17 points, while freshman guard Brittany Chambers finished with 14.

K-State senior guard Kari Kincaid was not much of a factor for the team. Kincaid had five points on two-of-seven shooting. Freshman guard Mariah White was hurt late in the second half on defense and did not return.

Freshman guard Taelor Karr had another solid outing with 10 points and seven rebounds. She took seven shots with five being from 3-point range.

As a team, the Wildcats shot a below-average six free throw attempts, making only two of them.

“They had an opportunity to get to the foul line a lot because they had an aggressive disposition,” Patterson said. “We did a better job of attempting to do that as a group in the second half, but it was just not enough.”

On Wednesday, K-State plays the University of Missouri, a team the Wildcats beat 65-50 in Columbia, Mo., earlier this season. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Bramlage Coliseum.