Kari Kincaid aims to ‘savor everything’

0
45

The Collegian sat down with Kari Kincaid to talk about being a leader on the team and what comes next after her college career ends. Kincaid is one of two seniors on this year’s Wildcat team. She averages 8.5 points per game and leads the team in assists, with 64 on the season.

Q: Being from Andover, is it fun to play so close to home?

A: “Yeah, I love that my family is able to come to my games. And it’s exciting to be from Kansas and play at Kansas State. I really feel like this is home to me, and that’s the way it’s been in the past in Coach P’s program. But it’s been really exciting to be close to home and have friends and family come and support me.”

Q: Has your senior year been all you’ve hoped it would be?

A: “It might not, as of right now, been as successful as in the past, but I know that there’s always a reason for something. I know that I’m going to make the most of my senior year and I know it’s not about me. I want to get these players ready for next year and continue the success of this program. I want to get wins for the team, but also really instill in these young players what it takes to a part of Coach P’s program.”

Q: You guys will probably be the underdog in a lot of your games as the season ends. What does that mean for the team?

A: “We’ve shown how we can play. We can beat a lot of teams in the Big 12. But we’ve got to have that confidence going into games and understand that when we’re playing on our home floor, it’s a must-win for us.”

Q: What are some of your goals for this season?

A: “My main goal for myself this year is to be a leader, both on and off the court, and to lead by example, not by words. It’s always a work in progress, but every day I’m being challenged more and more to do that. As a team, we’re really the underdog this year. It’s a huge transition year for us, because we had our really strong core in our seniors last year and they left, but the good thing is they’re still here supporting us, helping us along the way and giving us helpful tips here and there. So I really just want to surprise some people for our senior year. Really prove that we can be good, and I think our coaches are really preparing us well for that.”

Q: What are some of the specific things you do to be a leader on this team?

A: “A lot of times I just try to be an example. Get on the court before practice, get shots up. Always be talking on the court, getting people where they need to be. Or representing our University like it should be and really respecting our coaches and being coachable and really getting better at my game. That’s what I’ve been trying to do.”

Q: Is there any particular game you’re looking forward to as your career comes to an end?

A: “You know, at this point in my career, I was thinking, I’ve been playing basketball since I was 5 years old. That is 17 years of my life, so I can’t think about not playing another game. So I’m really trying every game to play my absolute heart out, leave everything I have on the court, and live with no regrets because basketball has been such a blessing for me and I don’t want to take it for granted.”

Q: What are your plans when your career at K-State is done in May?

A: “I graduate in May, I get married at the end of May, and then I’m moving to Fort Worth and hopefully finding a teaching job down there. So, I’m living up the college life because as soon as it’s over, it’s to the real world and being a big person. It’s exciting, but I want to savor everything until then.”