Wildcats scrape out low-scoring victory

0
16

Sloppy shooting and missed passes typified the matchup between state rivals as K-State downed the University of Missouri 37-33 in one of its lowest-scoring games of the season. Despite the inconsistent play, K-State head coach Deb Patterson had positive words for her team.

“This is a win I’m just really excited about,” Patterson said. “Defensively, we had to be very accountable. I thought we did a nice job of competing with good accountability.”
K-State (12-11, 4-5 Big 12 Conference) shrugged off a string of losses to beat Missouri (11-12, 1-9) despite a weak offensive effort.

The game moved forward slowly, with neither team pulling ahead by much. The teams left for halftime with K-State leading 16-13. In the second half, both teams battled a little harder – evidenced by a few three-pointers and a quick eight-point run by Missouri – to put up some more points, but K-State proved to be the more talented team and came away with its fourth conference victory.

Freshman guard Taelor Karr was the only K-Stater to break double digits in points scored. She had 10 points, and two of her baskets were three-pointers. Freshman guard Brittany Chambers almost tripled her rebound average of 4.7 per game with 12 rebounds. As a team, the Wildcats shot 25 percent from the field and converted on slightly over half of their free throws.

For Missouri, sophomore forward Christine Flores led her team – and the game – with 11 points and eight rebounds. No player for Missouri made more than half of their baskets, and the team as a whole hit just over one shot for every five taken.

The game got off to a slow start. Ten minutes into play, K-State was leading 8-4, and four different players had contributed two points each. It seemed as if K-State’s half of the court was coated in butter, as a handful of Missouri players were slipping and falling.

They were also missing passes, which the Wildcats were picking off. However, K-State could not convert those steals into enough baskets to gain a strong lead.

With 13 minutes left in the second half, the score increased to 21-19, K-State, after Missouri’s junior guard Jasmyn Otote sunk the first three-pointer of the game. Halfway through, Karr found her own three-pointer to make the game 28-21.

At that point, the Tigers kicked off a drive to reclaim the lead, scoring eight points in four minutes to pull ahead by one. However, Karr revolted and shot another three-pointer and a field goal to bring the advantage back to her team 33-29.

Sweat said her team’s defense was the deciding factor in the victory.