Late drive from Texas claims game

0
6

K-State went to Texas last Saturday and returned with a loss to Texas A&M. This time, the team did the exact same thing but at the hands of the No. 14 Texas Longhorns.

Texas (18-6, 8-3 Big 12 Conference) downed K-State (12-13, 4-7) with a 13-point run with less than five minutes left in the second half to claim the game 62-41.

The first half saw low scoring until a minor resurgence about 11 minutes in. Junior forward Jalana Childs put up six points to narrowly concede the half to the Longhorns 18-21. Texas kicked off the second half with a short run, which K-State replicated to pull within a point of Texas at 34-35. A belated succession of points from the Longhorns quieted a small effort on K-State’s side to achieve insurmountable dominance.

For K-State, freshman guard Brittany Chambers recorded 11 points and two rebounds. Childs and senior forward Ashley Sweat each had nine points, with Childs finding seven rebounds and making more than one-out-of-three baskets. The team had another night of poor shooting, hitting one in four shots.

Junior guard Kathleen Nash led the Longhorns — and the game — with 22 points, making eight of her 11 field goals and grabbing four rebounds.

Chambers wasted no time in the game, hitting a basket in less than 30 seconds. Texas quickly answered and the battle ensued.

The teams traded points with K-State taking a narrow advantage. With about seven minutes left in the first half, Nash sunk a 3-pointer to give her team favor 15-12. Both teams put up a few more points to send them to the locker rooms with the score set at 21-16 Texas.

Nash, the expected top performer, had already scored one field goal for every two taken and both of her 3-pointers to net eight points. Only one other starter had scored a single point. For the Wildcats, Childs led her team with six points behind nearly 50 percent shooting.

Both teams made a fierce re-entry from halftime; Texas’ Nash made two points in 11 seconds, and K-State’s senior guard Kari Kincaid returned fire with a 3-pointer moments later. From there, Texas made a 10-0 run to pull ahead 33-21. The Wildcats responded with their own run of 11 points, preceding a slight gap in action. Halfway through, Nash and senior guard Brittainey Raven each scored two baskets to give the Longhorns a 45-34 lead. Texas continued its drive and surged ahead to win the game.

The Wildcats return to their stomping grounds for a week of home games. They will play host to No. 11 Oklahoma at 2 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum this Sunday for the Pink Zone game, which promotes breast cancer awareness.