The Planner 2-19-10

0
5

Noted architect Kulapat Yantrasast, principal and founder of WHY Architecture, will present “A Crisis is a Terrible Thing to Waste” at 5 p.m. Feb. 26, in Seaton Hall’s Foerster Auditorium (room 63). The event is open to the public without charge and is sponsored by the College of Architecture, Planning and Design. Attendance at the lecture can be submitted as continuing education credit for design professionals by contacting Diane Potts at 785-532-1090 or potts@k-state.edu

Sensible Nutrition and Body Image Choices will present the following events for Eating Disorder Awareness Week. The theme is “It’s Time to Talk About it: Everyone can do … Just one Thing!”
-America the Beautiful documentary film will be shown Monday in the Little Theatre in the Union at 6 p.m.
-Yoga for Better Body Image will be held Wednesday at the Rec at 4:30 p.m. Open to K-State students and Rec faculty members. Call 532-6980 to reserve your spot.
-A discussion titled, “The Relationship Between Exercise and Body Image: Harmful or Helpful?” with keynote speaker Dr. Beth Fallon, Feb. 25 in the Flint Hills Room in the Union at 6 p.m.

The Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning, Office of Mediated Education and Information Technology Assistant Center is offering the Instructional Design and Technology Roundtable: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 minutes and 40 seconds, add 20 slides and Welcome to the World of Pecha Kucha. Come join us, Feb. 25, in Union 212, 11 a.m – 12:30 p.m.

Information Technology Teaching and Learning will offer the following sessions:
March 25 – A Sense of Where We Are: Geographic Information Science and Systems
April 22 – Show ME, Don’t Tell ME.
All events are from 11 – 12:30 p.m. in K-State Union 212. Events are open to all faculty, staff and students.

The K-State Karate Club is accepting new members. Open enrollment closes Saturday. For more information and to reserve your spot contact Charlene Anspaugh 785-494-2111, Maureen Kerrigan 785-341-7828 or info@ksukarate.org.

The Geology seminar will start Feb. 23 in Thompson Room 213 from 4 – 5 p.m. Dr. Deon Van Der Merwe will give a talk entitled “Adverse Health Effects in Canada Geese Associated with Mining Waste in the Tri-State Mining Area”

The City of Manhattan Parks & Recreation Department is looking for volunteer coaches for the upcoming youth soccer season. The season will run approximately March 1 to May 6. The department is also hiring soccer officials at a pay rate of $12 – $24 per game. Interested individuals should call 785-587-2757 or e-mail Jeff Mayer at mayer@ci.manhattan.ks.us.

Information Technology Assistance Center will be presenting the following orientations. The events are open to all K-State faculty, staff and students. Registration required.
-IT Orientation: Computing at K-State will be held from 2 – 3 p.m. Feb. 23 in Hale Library room 401B.
-IT Orientation: Library Technology will be held from 10 – 11 a.m. March 4 in Hale Library room 401B.
-IT Orientation: Emerging Technologies will be held from 10 – 11 a.m. March 10 in Hale Library room 401B.

Women on Weights will be held Saturday from 3 – 4:30 p.m. at Peters Recreation Complex. This program is free. Sign up in the Rec office or by calling 785-532-6980.

Applications for National Student Exchange for fall 2010 and spring 2011 are due by March 1. For more information, contact Kari Nap in the Office of Admissions at karinap@k-state.edu or go to nse.org.

The TechBytes series is offering the following sessions. The series is open to all K-State faculty, staff and students. Registration is not required. All sessions are from 1:30-2:30 p.m. and held in 501 Hale Library except for Feb. 25 session, which will be held in 301A Hale.
-Feb. 25 – Uses of WordPress
-March 4 – Twitter Tools
-March 11 – Zimbra Calendar
-March 25 – Google Wave 

Mortar Board Inc. is accepting applications. Access the application at k-state.edu/mortarboard and submit to 107 Leadership Studies Building, second-floor reception area by today. Mortar Board members will be available in the Union Feb. 16-18 to answer questions and celebrate National Mortar Board Week (Feb. 15-19).

The Planner is the Collegian’s bulletin board service. To place an item in the Planner, stop by Kedzie 116 and fill out a form or e-mail news editor Bethaney Wallace at news@spub.ksu.edu by 11 a.m. two days before it is to run. Some items might not appear because of space constraints, but are guaranteed to appear on the day of the activity. Confirmation will not be provided.