K-State women force OT, lose 75-67

0
7

K-State battled Texas Tech last night in a showdown stretching into extra minutes, but the Red Raiders stole the game 75-67 with a strong display in overtime.

The first half saw charged action on both sides as the game went back and forth between the two teams. K-State (12-15, 4-9 Big 12) took a small lead, but Texas Tech (17-10, 5-8) stole it away eight minutes in. The Wildcats trailed the Red Raiders 28-23 at halftime.

In the second half, both teams made strong pushes in the first minutes, with K-State rallying to force overtime. Texas Tech had all the momentum in the extra period to win the game. K-State head coach Deb Patterson said her team played well in the second half, but not so much in overtime.

“We just didn’t play that last five minutes of the game well,” she said. “Right now, our decision making is a little scattered.”

For the third time this season, senior guard Kari Kincaid had the high score for her team with 18 points. She also committed no turnovers. She made half of her field goals and all her free throws. Freshman guard Taelor Karr nearly had a double-double, scoring 11 points while hauling in a game-high nine rebounds behind 50 percent shooting.

For the Red Raiders, senior guard Jordan Murphree put up 26 points and eight rebounds while hitting the majority of her free throws. Texas Tech head coach Kristy Curry said she was happy with her team.

“We always want to come out and make sure we’re aggressive,” she said. “I’m so proud of these kids.”

K-State sophomore forward Jalana Childs kicked off the game with a quick jump shot, followed minutes later by an exchange of runs with both teams making a few buckets to raise the score 9-7, K-State. They led at halftime 28-23 behind 10 first-half points from Murphree.

The Wildcats returned from halftime with better offense, rallying from the halftime deficit to tie the game around the 10-minute mark. At the nine-minute mark, freshman guard Brittany Chambers sunk two, regaining the lead for her team 45-44. However, K-State did not hold it for long after the Red Raiders made a pair of free throws to tie the game 48-48. The game inched forward, and the lead jumped back and forth between the teams, but a layup from Chambers with two seconds left pushed the game into overtime.

Both teams fought hard to take home a win, but Texas Tech drove to the front behind the leadership of Murphree, who scored all six points of the first four minutes. Kincaid and Karr each sunk two to move their team within six, but the Red Raiders picked up some more points to win the game by eight. Coach Patterson said her team’s performance dropped too far to be competitive.

“We just regressed back to wasting possessions,” she said. “They were good shots that Texas Tech earned. We were really wasting ours.”

The Wildcats return to the floor this weekend when they take on Iowa State on the road.