50 volunteers give time to raise funds for Manhattan library

0
12

The Manhattan Library Association had its annual book sale this weekend at the Manhattan Public Library. The event began on Friday with a members-only preview of the available books, while sales on Saturday and Sunday were open to the public.

The Manhattan Library Association is a nonprofit organization. It supports the library by contributing funds through membership dues, donations, the annual book sale, a library area called Rosie’s Corner and other special events.

Every year, volunteers run the event for the association. They come from several different groups and organizations around Manhattan. Gary Jeffrey, Manhattan resident, said he has been a volunteer for 10 to 15 years for the event. Jeffrey now manages the book sale for the association.

“We use donated books that people bring to the library,” said Heather Lansdowne, president of Manhattan Library Association. “We collect throughout the year and sort them as they come in.”

Jeffrey said some of the books donated to the library are put into Rosie’s Corner. This small area on the first floor of the library is dedicated to selling books, videos, cookbooks, children’s books and more.

Lansdowne said the library pulls certain books from circulation for the book sale when the books grow old or when the library has too many copies.

“Basically all the money we make goes back into the library for more books, events and to fund all kinds of things,” Lansdowne said.

The event had more than 50 volunteers, Jeffrey said, and about 100,000 books for sale.

He said Job Corps brought the books up from the basement, the Manhattan Key Club helped run the event and several members from the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity agreed to help with clean-up after the book sale.

People interested in becoming a member of the association can buy several different kinds of memberships. There are memberships for the individual, a family, a business or organization, a patron or a premier. The association also sold memberships at the door during the sale.

At 10 a.m. on Saturday, the book sale opened for the public. People could pay “by the book,” Lansdowne said. The book sale was also open on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., and people could pay “by the box or bag.”

This method of payment meant people could buy books in bulk for a small fee, depending on whether they filled a box or a bag.

The annual book sale is one of the association’s main fundraising events. Money from the event supports the library’s financial needs throughout the year.