‘Violent’ games should still be allowed on campus

0
9

Dear Editor,

A recent article on March 11 entitled “Games considered violent banned on campus” appeared in the K-State Collegian. While that article did a great job presenting an unbiased approach, this letter aims to present why campus should not ban these types of games.

Dictionary.com describes violent as “acting with or characterized by uncontrolled, strong, rough force.” Many of the games played that involve so-called “violent acts” are not violent games in the slightest.

These games provide an alternative way to socialize in a safe, healthy, fun environment. They give players an adrenaline rush without addictive video gaming, underage drinking or other illegal activities.

Independent student leaders are encouraged by these games. Many of these players could be considered the nerds on their floor or in their classes. While playing, they have the opportunity to build friendships and be leaders. For a university that prides itself on being an open, accepting campus, these games provide that opportunity for students.

The games boost the number of students on K-State’s campus late at night. Campus security and safety officers cannot be everywhere at once. With increased students on campus during the night hours, the real safety of campus is enhanced.

Playing these games encourage physical activity in a nontraditional context. Some students are not athletic, but they can still participate in these activities that engage their body and mind.

These games expand the creativity, participation, and availability of on-campus programming. The Union Program Council spends $201,184 on alternative student activities.

In my opinion, they do a great job with the resources given to them. Resident assistants and multicultural assistants have the same responsibility under a limited budget. These two groups work toward healthy ways for K-State students to have fun. Many safe, fun games that are so-called “violent” offer a nonthreatening, low-cost event that see record numbers of students participating.

Playing games relieves the monotony and stress of college work. College is difficult, and if students don’t take time to unwind by participating in activities they enjoy, my guess, based on experience, is that they are going to be more prone to depression and mental breakdowns.

On campus, these games, if regulated correctly and approached in the right light, offer a recruiting tool. There are thousands of potential students that would love to attend a college that knows how to have an extreme amount of fun in a safe environment.

– John Walter, graduate student in accounting