‘Where the Wild Things Are’ has child-like perspective on growing up

0
46

“Where the Wild Things Are” takes your mind on a journey through the eyes of a child named Max (Max Records). Max struggles to cope with his difficult world and looks to his sister and mother to help find his way. Both caught up in their own lives, his family seems too busy to notice Max slipping over the edge.

Caught in a world of tantrum, Max runs away from his mother (Catherine Keener) after she was paying too much attention to her boyfriend. In the midst of running away, he gets lost in his own imagination and it takes him to a whole new world, oceans apart from our own.

Slipping into this imaginative world, the boy meets up with a host of wild creatures as ill-tempered as himself and becomes their king. Leading them through adventures similar to what he’s always dreamed of, Max especially befriends Carol (James Gandolfini), who is very much like himself.

A significantly dark tale of friendship, depression and adolescence, “Where the Wild Things Are” is a fantastic depiction of the world through a troubled boy’s life. Feeling like he can take on the world and get by on his own, Max soon realizes that the problems of many are a bit more complicated than he could have imagined.

As Max works through his own issues, the “Wild Things” do as well. Intertwining the drama and chaos of love and friendship, “Where the Wild Things Are” truly captures the big picture when it comes to the hectic emotions we all suffered as adolescents.

Having never read the book that inspired this movie, I was really interested in this movie from the get go. It just felt different, which I tend to enjoy about movies. Director Spike Jonze truly molded this movie into his own, unique creation and that is something to applaud.

Having a depressed sort of feel to it, this movie is about life. It really hits on a nerve when it comes to adolescent frustration and it’s something we’ve all been through. Naysayers may proclaim a general negative mood and flaunt that this movie was sad for children, but I would disagree. This movie helps teach you about the acceptance of situations larger than yourself and about how as a kid, this is a large stepping stone of realization.

The possibility is present that this childhood story has been mixed into a more mature movie, but I hold that this movie will be special for kids of all ages. Being able to relate to different characters at all points of the story will make this a great movie for the entire family.

Aaron Weiser is a senior in economics. Send comments to edge@spub.ksu.edu.