Senior Center to sell fabric, jewelry to community

0
15

The Riley County Seniors’ Service Center will host their annual jewelry and fabric sale today from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The center has a jewelry sale twice a year and also hosts several other sales periodically. Members of the Senior center donate all the items sold at these events.

Currently, there are about 800 members, and the money made during the sales is used to provide activities for them, or used to improve the center.

“The idea focuses on recycling,” said Susan Peterson, assistant director of the center.

Peterson also said the proceeds from this jewelry sale will go to buy better chairs for seniors. The chairs at the center, she said, will be improved to give visitors and members more support.

“There will be fabric bundled by the yard,” Peterson said. “Some left-over scarves and all sorts of fashion accessories.”

As part of the sale, a group of students from K-State’s social work program sold some of the center’s donated jewelry in the K-State Student Union Monday and Wednesday.

“We have lots of things that college students are attracted to,” Peterson said of the different styles of jewelry. “It’s always a hot item for people to purchase.”

The center will host another sale April 28, and the variety of items will be much larger than the jewelry sale. Peterson said the event is somewhat like a garage sale.

The jewelry and fabric sale will take place at the center, located at 412 Leavenworth.