Clashes leave ‘Titans’ on the fence

0
37

Louis Leterrier’s new action movie “Clash of the Titans” took its debut chunk out of the box office totals this week. Released on April 2, this remake of the 1981 film has been greeted not so favorably by critics.

The movie follows the mythological story of Perseus quite closely. Born as the son of Zeus (Liam Neeson) and raised as a man, Perseus’ family is killed as mankind attempts to thwart the gods.

Bound to vengeance by his fury, Perseus (Sam Worthington) joins up with others from Argos on a quest to save the land and defeat Hades. Struggling to learn who he himself is, man or god, and fighting for the lives of all those journeying beside him, Perseus travels to the very bounds of Hades and back.

Given such an epic storyline, the director had more than an adequate share of action sequence with which to work. Combined with the power of modern special effects, “Clash of the Titans” simply takes away the breath.

The design of the beasts and demons themselves is impressive. If anything about this movie or the vision of the director caught my attention, it was the complex beauty of every single enemy and foe.

Shining in true contrast to its blocky predecessor, “Clash of the Titans” is proof that the awe-factor behind digitally reproducing a movie with such raw power is a great idea.

In all its beauty and splendor, however, “Clash of the Titans” still managed to fall short on a number of levels. While appealing to the eyes, the story line flowed awkwardly and felt forced.

Attempting to smooth together a string of power-packed action sequences with emotional and captivating dialogue, the characters in “Clash of the Titans” seemed to absentmindedly care for one another as the need arose.

Perseus went straight from fisherman to hero without even learning to fight, found true love with his guardian Io and apparently developed a very strong emotional bond to the rest of his party from Argos without any sort of time frame to do so.

While trying to establish a romance between Perseus and his lifelong counterpart Io, the story behind the action falls slow. On the road to see the witches and by boat to Hades, I felt trapped in an awkward teenage love bubble Perseus was attempting to break out of by slaying the vilest beasts of the land.

Although the story itself does not lend an extreme amount of difficulty to Perseus’ journey, I felt the director could have added more intensity to the idea of him falling short. “Clash of the Titans” is just a bit too straightforward. Throw in some plot twists, for heaven’s sake.

All this is not to mention the extremely disappointing performance of the Kraken. With such an awesome portrayal of the fearsome beast, I truly expected a battle. And what a disappointment that expectation landed me. Following quite a battle with Medusa just outside Hades and the treacherous journey all the way back to Argos, it was an epic letdown.

– Aaron Weiser is a senior in economics. Send comments to edge@spub.ksu.edu.