Junction City ‘going green’ with fair

0
17

This weekend, Junction City is set to host the community’s first Green Fair from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Municipal Building, located at 7th Street and Washington Street.

The fair, which is sponsored by the Geary Community Sustainability Council, will have several exhibits and booths for visitors to explore, and several discussions are scheduled throughout the day.

The talks will cover a number of green-related topics, from consumer energy efficiency, to renewable energy sources, to rangeland burning. The speakers will be at two locations: the gymnasium stage and the commission room.

“It is a combination of exhibitors who will be handing out information from their booths and several talks staggered in between,” said Susan Moyer, director of Dorothy Bramlage Public Library. “There will also be some kids activities, and on-site recycling available.”

The exhibits will offer information to visitors about the various options available to them that will make their homes and offices more energy- and cost-efficient, such as energy-saving appliances or eating locally-produced foods.

“We will also have food service from a local food service provider,” Moyer said.

Moyer said they will also be selling tickets to visitors giving them a chance to receive a compost tumbler. She said the tickets are $1 each, but those prices are suggested donations.

As part of the on-site recycling collection that is also available, visitors can bring hazardous waste, e-waste and recyclables, including No. 1 and No. 2 plastics, aluminum and steel cans, newspapers, magazines, telephone books, and all forms of paper (notebook paper, computer paper, manila folders, etc.) to be recycled.

Friends of the Animals, a non-profit animal advocacy organization, will also be at the fair collecting working animal carriers, as well as clean, used blankets and towels to be used for cage liners.