The Planner 4-12-10

0
12

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Lutfa Akter, titled, “Modeling, Forecasting and Resource Allocation in Cognitive Radio Networks.” It will be held April 29 at 2:30 p.m. in Rathbone 2064.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Sara K Rosenkranz, titled, “Lifestyle Influences on Airway Health in Children and Young Adults.” It will be held April 30 at 2:00 p.m. in Justin 146.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Carey A Tresner, titled, “A Case Study to Identify and Describe Instructional Strategies Used in the Eleventh Grade Language Arts Classroom to Assist Disadvantaged Students in Preparing for the State Reading Assessment: A Guide for School Leaders and Eleventh Grade Language Arts Teachers.” It will be held April 28 at 9 a.m. in Bluemont 368.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Walamitien Herve Oyenan, titled, “An Algebraic Framework for Compositional Design of
Autonomous and Adaptive Multiagent Systems.” It will be held April 28, at 9:45 a.m. in Nichols 233.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Kevin Otis Knabe, titled, “Using Saturated Absorption Spectroscopy on Acetylene-Filled Hollow-Core Fibers for Absolute Frequency Measurements.” It will be held April 29 at 9:30 a.m. in Cardwell 119.

The entry deadline for intramural disc golf is Thursday by 5 p.m. Sign up in the office at Peters Recreation Complex. The disc golf tournament will take place at Tuttle Creek State Park Saturday. For more information, see recservices.k-state.edu or call the office at 785-532-6980.

SafeZone invites all members of the K-State community to attend the Nonviolent Communication workshop on Wednesday from 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. in Union 212. For more information, check out k-state.edu/safezone.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Juan Carlos Cruz Jimenez, titled, “Hydrolases on Fumed Silica: Conformational
Stability Studies to Enable Biocatalysis in Organic Solvents.” It will be held Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. in Durland 1029.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Terry
Harrison, titled, “Educational Participation Issues Confronting Military
Personnel Assigned to Austere Remote Locations.” It will be held April
26 at 3 p.m. in Bluemont 368.

The Sixth Annual Enid Stover Poetry Recitation will be held April 24 from 2 – 4 p.m. at Manhattan City Park. In case of bad weather, the event will be held at the Manhattan Public Library auditorium. Chairs will be provided, but lawn chairs and blankets are also welcome. There will be light refreshments served, certificates and a gift drawing. For more information, contact Martha Seaton at 785-537-0936.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Darin Duane Lenz, titled, “Strengthening the Faith of the Children of God: Pietism, Print, and Prayer in the Making of a World Evangelical Hero, George Muller of Bristol (1805-1898).” It will be held Wednesday at 9 a.m. in Eisenhower 201.

Recreational Services is offering a new Jump Rope Fitness exercise class at  Peters Recreation Complex on Thursdays from 8:30 – 9:30 p.m. on basketball court No. 5. For more information, call the office at 785-532-6980.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Yujun Wang, titled, “Universal Efimov Physics in Three- and Four-Body Collisions.” It will be held April 21 at 2:30 p.m. in Cardwell 119.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Valerie Lynn Zelenka, titled, “A Case Study of Literacy Instruction Delivered to Kindergarten Struggling Readers within the Response to Intervention Model in Three Classroom Settings.” It will be held April 19 at 8:30 a.m. in Bluemont 368.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Lisa Carol Thomas, titled, “Exploring Second Graders’ Understanding of the Text-Illustration Relationship in Picture Storybooks and Informational Picture Books.” It will be held April 19 at 3 p.m. in Bluemont 257.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Jennifer Case, titled, “Protein Intake, Body Composition and Athletic Performance.” It will be held April 20 at 10 a.m. in Justin 146.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Safiyyah Forbes, titled, “Hydrogen Bond Driven Supramolecular Chemistry for Modulating Physical Properties of Pharmaceutical Compounds.” It will be held April 21 at 9 a.m. in Hale Library 301.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of David Ryan Brown, titled, “Three Essays in Industrial Organization.” It will be held April 21 at 2:45 p.m. in Waters 342.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Casey Reva Abington, titled, “Essays in the Economics of Education.” It will be held April 23 at 8:30 a.m. in Waters 342.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Alison Luce Fedrow, titled, “Drosophila Melanogaster as a Model for Studying Ehrlichia Chaffeensis.” It will be held Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. in Ackert 324.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Jason Michael Brunner titled, “Relationship Building in a Cross-Cultural Setting.” It will be held Friday at 11 a.m. in Bluemont Hall Room 449.

The Graduate School announces the final doctoral dissertation of Scott Anthony Klasner titled, “Novel Capillary and Microfluidic Devices for Biological Analyses.” It will be held Friday at 3 p.m. in Hale Library Room 301.

SHAPE will host Battle of the Sexperts on April 21 at 7 p.m. in the Union Courtyard. Show us your sexpertise. Grab your friends and sign up as a team. 3-5 members per team. Enter your team online at k-state.edu/lafene/SHAPE/sexpert.htm. Registration fee: $5 per person (All preregistered participants receive a free T-shirt.) Registration deadline tomorrow.

The City of Manhattan Parks & Recreation Department is looking for volunteer youth baseball and softball coaches for the upcoming summer season. The approximate season for the leagues will be May 17 – July 23. Interested individuals may contact MPRD at 587-2757 or e-mail Jeff Mayer at mayer@ci.manhattan.ks.us.

A Census 2010 Questionnaire Assistance Center table, with an employee from the Census Bureau who can answer questions, will be at the Union outside of the food court, weekdays from 11 a.m. — 2 p.m. through Wednesday. Feel free to stop by.

Powercat Financial Counseling hosts Walk-in Financial today from 9 – 11 a.m. in the Office of Student Activities and Services, ground floor of the Union. No appointment necessary. Come in and ask peer financial counselors your quick money questions every Friday morning until April 30.

Instructional Design and Technology will offer “IDT Roundtable: Show ME, Don’t Tell ME!” from 11 a.m. — 12:30 p.m. on April 22 in Union 212. Events are open to all faculty, staff and students.

The Planner is the Collegian’s bulletin board service. To place an item in the Planner, stop by Kedzie 116 and fill out a form or e-mail news editor Bethaney Wallace at news@spub.ksu.edu by 11 a.m. two days before it is to run. Some items might not appear be cause of space constraints, but are guaranteed to appear on the day of the activity. Confirmation will not be provided.