MHS recipient of new band uniforms thanks to Pepsi-Cola

0
26

The Pepsi-Cola Bottling Co. of Manhattan has recently awarded a Pepsi Refresh Grant for $10,000 to Manhattan High School. The grant will be used to help MHS purchase new band uniforms for the Big Blue Marching Band.

The Pepsi Refresh Grant is in association with the Pepsi-Cola Company’s current Pepsi Refresh project. As part of the project, Pepsi-Cola will award money to businesses, non-profit organizations and individuals, with ideas on how to positively impact their community. These ideas are submitted to Pepsi-Cola through their project Web site, Refresheverything.com. Anyone can submit ideas, and people vote for them via the Web site.

On the Web site, the ideas are separated into six different categories: health and fitness, arts and culture, neighborhoods, the planet, education and food and shelters. The ideas with the most votes receive a Pepsi Refresh Grant of $5,000; $25,000; $50,000 or $250,000, depending on who presented the idea (individual, small group, organization, etc.).

“This grant is the local part of the national Pepsi Refresh project,” said Michele Jones, public relations coordinator for Manhattan-Ogden USD 383. “Local branches are allowed to give money to community organizations as part of the project.”

Michael Dorst, assistant principal at MHS, said the national Pepsi-Cola company produced $5,000 to give to MHS, and Pepsi-Cola of Manhattan matched the donation to make the $10,000 grant for the purchase of new band uniforms.

“Because of the issues going on with the state, like budget cuts we would have been unable to buy the uniforms ourselves,” Dorst said.

The new uniforms, which will be purchased from Fred J. Miller Inc. of Miamisburg, Ohio, will cost a total of $59,650. Dorst said that, along with the Pepsi Refresh Grant, the high school had help from the Booster club, which donated $10,000 for the uniforms.

He also said the high school had a local fund-raising campaign which raised $10,000, and there are other fundraiser projects that have been going on in the schools.

The current band uniforms were originally purchased in 1992, and they are wool-based, requiring professional dry cleaning annually. The bill to clean the uniforms, Dorst said, is about $14,000.

“The old uniforms were being held together by staples, duct tape and glue,” Dorst said. “So it’s for a very good cause.”

The national Pepsi Refresh project will continue until the end of the year. People can vote for up to 10 ideas every day, and voting on accepted submissions takes place throughout the month. Applications for ideas will be accepted from the first to the 15th of each month, or until Pepsi-Cola receives 1,000 ideas.

To vote or submit an idea for the Pepsi Refresh project, visit Refresheverything.com.