Ritchie’s ‘Holmes’ provides action, suspense

0
15

“Sherlock Holmes,” directed by Guy Ritchie, was recently released to DVD. Grossing in the top 10 in 2009 at the box office, “Sherlock Holmes” was a big hit with moviegoers and mystery-lovers alike. A story with more than a century of history, the characters created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle have been brought to a whole new life on the big screen.

Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and Dr. Watson (Jude Law) undertake an adventure combining the worlds of mystery and magic. Taking their last case together, the talented duo must chase down the murderer of a handful of women.

Sentenced to the rope for his crimes, the murderer convinces the public he has returned from the grave, creating panic and mayhem. Holmes must track him down and stop the evil from spreading while trying to manage his own personal vices.

“Sherlock Holmes” was beautifully directed. A star almost made for the part, Robert Downey Jr., is exactly what the film needed. He adds such completeness to the character and his ability to portray crazy genius is off the charts.

Jude Law is also very good as Watson. An intelligently smooth doctor, the young character is a perfect companion for the absentminded detective. While fighting to depart from Holmes and the lifestyle he has been living, Watson is pursuing a relationship with Mary and the two tasks never balance out well.

One of my favorite movies from the past year, the unique direction of the movie catches my eye. Portraying the intelligence of Holmes and his ability to logically work through every task at hand was — and needed to be — the key component to the movie.

Combined with the beautiful recreation of England near the end of the 19th century, the effects in this movie were impeccable. Scientific creation and the mystery that surrounds Sherlock Holmes’ daily life keep you on the edge through the entire movie.

At just over two hours, “Sherlock Holmes” never had a lagging moment. A suspenseful ride from start to finish, there really were not any letdowns throughout. This was a very well put together film.

– Aaron Weiser is a senior in economics. Send comments to edge@spub.ksu.edu.