Outgoing mayor to offer final remarks

0
26

The Manhattan City Commission will meet for its regular meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in City Hall. Commissioners are expected to vote on various items in the consent agenda and discuss three items on the general agenda.

The Commission has previously reviewed the items that are on tonight’s consent agenda, and the commissioners are expected to make a final decision to approve or deny these items at the meeting.

City County Clerk, Gary Fees, is also expected to nominate a new mayor for the city, as Mayor Bob Strawn’s term has been fulfilled. Strawn will be recognized for his service as Mayor and the Mayor-elect will provide comments for the coming year.

During the general agenda, commissioners will hear recommendations for a long-term sub-lease agreement between Farrar Corporation and Manhattan Day Care and Learning Centers, Inc. for the construction of a new and improved Day Care Center for the city.

Next on the agenda will be the discussion of a revised petition for McCall Road improvements from Hayes Drive to Kretschmer Drive. If commissioners approve the petition, McCall Road will be reconstructed to a five-lane section, with a 5 ft.-wide sidewalk on the south side of the road and a 10 ft.-wide sidewalk on the north side. .

The last item on the general agenda regards the fire suppression sprinklers in one and two family residential structures. This issue arises because the 2009 version of the International Residential Code contains such a requirement and the city is scheduled to consider the adoption of that Code.

All citizens are encouraged to attend the meeting, which will be televised on local Cable channel 3. A live feed of the meeting will also be available on the City of Manhattan’s Web site at Ci.manhattan.ks.us.