Public Library hosts children’s event Thurs.

0
24

The Manhattan Public Library played host to the Children’s Earth Day Celebration yesterday afternoon in its auditorium. The celebration featured stories and activities for all ages to learn the importance of taking care of the planet.

“It’s kind of cool that it rained on Earth Day; it’s important for the earth, it helps things grow,” said Jennifer Adams, children’s department manager at the library, to begin the celebration.

Adams also told parents about upcoming events at the library for children, like story times and “Library Card Day,” which will be held Saturday. During the day Saturday, children can come to the library and show their library card to be given a free book.

The children then listened to two stories, “Dinosaur Woods” and “Happy Dog Sizzles,” and both stories had important and fun facts about the earth.

Rachel Carnes, story time reader and children’s librarian, said the librarians look through their collection to see what books they have about recycling or taking care of natural resources and pick a few for the children to hear.

Carnes said the library has been holding Earth Day parties for several years and there is always some type of story time for it.

The kids also participated in two activities, the first of which was a game where Carnes showed the children items that could be considered trash and the kids named other things the items could be used for instead of being thrown away.

When Carnes showed a tin can that had food in it, the children suggested that it could be used for music, it could be played with or it could be used as a pencil holder.

“There’s a lot of things you can do with stuff, after you use it and before you recycle it, it can be used for something else,” Carne said.

She showed the children other items too, including an old T-shirt that she said could be stuffed and made into a pillow for a cat and a flip-flop that could be a boat with the addition of a sail.

For the second activity and to finish off the celebration, the children worked with paper leaves and glued vegetables on them as decoration. The children could then take their

leaves home to hang in their windows or turn them into magnets.

Andrea Schmidt, 4-H youth development agent for Riley County Research Development, showed the kids different vegetables they could glue on their leaves for decoration, like corn, lentils, sunflower seeds, pinto beans, split peas and soybeans. Schmidt told the kids a little about each vegetable and encouraged them to look and pass around.

Schmidt said Riley County Research Development works with the Manhattan Public Library for different youth programming.

This event was “one other way to provide resources to youth,” Schmidt said.

Karen Laflen said she brought her 8-year-old daughter and 2-and-a-half-year-old son to the celebration because it’s a great idea and a fun, no-cost activity.

This was the 40th anniversary of Earth Day. Children’s story times are held every day of the week except Friday at the Manhattan Public Library.