Senate holds final meeting

0
11

Student Senate held its final meeting of the semester last night. With no legislation on the agenda, the meeting was the shortest of the year.

During the first open period, Nathan Shriver, sophomore in finance and accounting, spoke about K-State Parking Service’s bicycle policy. About 95 percent of the bikes on campus are not registered with Parking Services as policy requires them to be, he said, and bicycle racks are dangerous and cluttered due to a lack of enforcement.

“There’s no motivation to register bikes,” Shriver said. “I suggest allow free registration for the first four weeks, then charging a fee after that to provide a motivation.”

Bicycles that are impounded due to lack of proper permits are stored at Old Stadium and then sold once a year by Parking Services, he said. After storing bikes through the summer, though, the storage becomes full to the point that they can no longer impound any more bikes. Shriver suggested remedying this by selling the bicycles twice a year.

“The bicycle graveyard creates an eyesore in Old Stadium,” he said. “There’s no more space in Old Stadium to store bikes so they are not removed.”

Student body vice president Annie Oliver also spoke during the open period, giving an overview of the process of the Diversity Programming Committee. For this fiscal year, the DPC was allocated $99,000 from SCTE to provide to groups and organizations.

The process for groups to obtain funding begins with an application. From there, the DPC decides which groups it would like to hear from in their second meeting, Oliver said. The number of groups for consideration is reduced to 11 and upon hearing speeches from the groups, the DPC decides how much to allocate to them.

The senate also passed a resolution to commend the K-State crops team, which competed at the national crops contest and took first place for the second year in a row. The team competes in categories like laboratory practical, agronomic exam, plant and seed identification and math practical. They have placed in the top 10 nine times in a row.