Cinco de Mayo gains popularity

0
31

The holiday of Cinco De Mayo commemorates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army, and is now a widely celebrated Mexican holiday with festivities celebrating Mexican culture, food, music and customs unique to Mexico.

Primarily, Cinco De Mayo is a regional holiday celebrated in Mexico, the grandest celebrations in the state of Puebla.

The increasing population of people with Mexican heritage has brought the celebration to the U.S.

Quite a few cities throughout the U.S. hold parades and concerts during the week leading up to May 5th. Cinco de Mayo has become a bigger holiday and it is now being adopted into the holiday calendar of more people every year.

Purple Pig, a bar in Aggievile, will offer drinks specials for the day including $3.25 lime margaritas on the rocks and $3 tequila sunrises.

“This is my seventh Cinco De Mayo down here in Aggieville and each year the celebration gets bigger,” said Keith Eyestone, owner and manager of Purple Pig.

Matt Pray, marketing director for K-State Union Foodservice, said Salsa Rita’s plans to decorate with balloons and multicolored ribbons around the restaurant in celebration of the holiday.

Salsa Rita’s will also be giving out 4 piñatas full of candy to whoever is standing at the registers at certain times of the day.

Members of Salsa Rita’s Facebook page can print off coupons for a small chicken or beef burrito and a drink for $5. The $5 price represents the fifth day of May, Cinco De Mayo.

Pray said the festivities at Salsa Rita’s celebrate the day and make it fun for K-State students.