K-State students perform puppet show

0
20

A group of K-State students visited the children’s section of the Manhattan Public Library Monday afternoon to put on a puppet show for an audience of children and their parents. The Spring Puppet Show began at 1:30 p.m., and the students performed a variety of different stories for the children through their puppets.

Sally Bailey, associate professor of communications studies, theater and dance, is the organizer of the puppet show event, and her students were the puppeteers.

“She is the one who instigated the event and organized it,” said Jennifer Adams, children’s services manager at the library. “She put it all together.”

The puppet show is an event that has been going on since 2000. Each semester, a new K-State class does the puppet show for the children of Manhattan.

The audience for this semester’s puppet show included about 80 kids and about 60 adults, Adams said, which was a rather large crowd compared to past performances. The event lasted about 45 minutes and was held in the library’s auditorium.

“The students create their own puppets from stuff they find around,” Adams said. “Their shows are usually based on children’s stories.”

Adams said after the puppet show, the children were able to meet the puppets and play with them, as well as meet the students who performed for them.

The library has several other events throughout the summer for children to attend.

Until the end of May, the library will continue their annual event where children can read with dogs. This event will last until May 23, and happens every Sunday from 1 to 3 p.m.

Each child who registers for the event is allowed a 20-minute session to read any book of their choice to a certified therapy dog. Children who attend the event 10 times will receive a free book from the library.

Adams said there is also an event that the library will be doing every Saturday in May called Stories on the Lawn. She said there are different themes for each day; this weekend will have a Mother’s Day theme.

Adams said on May 15, a firefighter and a fire truck will visit the library.

Also, starting in June, the library will begin its summer reading program for children, teenagers and adults. Sign up for the program begins on the first day of June, and those who are interested can sign up online at the library’s Web site, Manhattan.lib.ks.us, or in the library.

By signing up, participants can keep track of the time spent reading or listening to books by logging hours online at their Web site, or on a chart. All children up to 6th grade will receive prizes for reading 5, 10 and 20 hours.

Adams said the Kick-off Party for the summer reading program will be held June 5 from 1 to 3 p.m. on the library’s lawn, located at 629 Poyntz.

“There will be a band on the lawn, and we will be encouraging kids and adults to sign up for summer reading,” Adams said. “There will also be games and activities.”

For more information about the library’s events for the rest of May or for the summer, visit the library’s Web site, Manhattan.lib.ks.us, or call the information desk at 785-776-4741.