Cinco de Mayo celebrated

0
29

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, Salsarita’s offered free churros, a $5 small burrito and drink special with a coupon available from its Facebook page. The restaurant also gave out free piñatas full of candy. The restaurant was decorated with candy on the tables, balloons, multicolored ribbons and traditional Mexican items like sombreros.

Salsarita’s also had a wing-eating contest to draw more attention to its Cinco de Mayo festivities. The contest took place at noon and the person who could eat the most wings in the shortest amount of time won a 32-inch flat-screen TV.

Matt Pray, marketing director for K-State Union food service, was optimistic before the event.

“I think the celebration is going to be pretty big with a lot of people,” he said. “After students see the balloons, decorations and wing-eating contest going on, they’ll want to get on their phones and call their friends to come,” Pray said.

Pray emceed the wing-eating contest to get the crowd “hyped and fired up” for the day.

Kirsten Priest, a senior in family studies and human services and an associate at Salsarita’s, said the restaurant was packed with customers from the time it opened to about 1:00 p.m. Many students presented the printed coupon.

“It’s a fun, cool holiday,” Priest said. “I love Mexican food and culture, that’s why I work here.”

Arielle Monroe, junior in public relations, said although she is half Argentine — not Mexican — her family still celebrates the holiday every year in recognition of their heritage.

“We usually make a big tub of a drink mixed with tequila, lime juice, chili powder and cut-up lemons or limes. [Then we] dance and eat on Cinco De Mayo,” said Monroe.

Daniel Flores, junior in mass communications and sociology, said he is half Mexican but was raised more American. Thus, he said he doesn’t celebrate the holiday every year, but he still tries to partake in some of the annual festivities.

“Since I’m half Mexican and my Dad is full Mexican, it’s kind of one of those things that is important to him and my grandparents, but now there’s a generation gap,” said Flores.

Bars and restaurants in Manhattan got in on the party, too, offering specials yesterday.