Adopting animal from local shelter rewarding

0
17

Adopted pets are grateful for a new home, and their owners can be just as thankful to have a new companion.

Allie Prester, senior in family studies and human services, has volunteered at the T. Russell Reitz animal shelter and said her favorite part about volunteering her time was helping animals become eligible for adoption.

“The feeling of knowing that you have saved a life, that has had no say in how they have lived and where they have gone, is by far the best thing that a person can receive from adopting a pet,” Prester said.

Angela Tyrell, veterinary technician at the shelter said any animal that is friendly and healthy is accepted. Tyrell also said depending on how much open space the shelter has, animals can be accepted or turned away.

She said a typical adoption starts with an initial visit to the shelter to find a pet the adopter is interested in. Then, the adopter will visit again, chose a pet and leave with it.

Tyrell said the initial adoption fee at the shelter is $25. There are also fees for rabies shots, spay and neutering. If the adopter brings paperwork back within the allotted time period, the deposit will be given back.

The spay and neuter deposit is $40 for cats and $60 for dogs. The rabies deposit is $10 for both cats and dogs. There is also a $6 city pet tag fee in Manhattan.

Volunteers must pass a background check to help at the shelter.

Tyrell said one volunteer, who was there for community service hours after a speeding ticket, ended up abusing the cleaning supplies.

“They ended up sniffing Dawn, so you need to pass a background check,” she said.

Tyrell said once a person has passed the background check, they are trained on how to take care of the animals, approach them and other various responsibilities. Prester said it is a rewarding experience.

“There are so many things our furry friends can teach us and it is great to know that I may have made a difference in getting a pet adopted,” Prester said

Prester’s family recently adopted a terrier mix named Archie.

“There are so many things that people can get from adopting a pet rather than buying from a breeder,” Prester said.

Michelle Beck, senior in dietetics, adopted a mastiff mix puppy in Spring 2010.

“It has been a reward watching her grow into the happy dog she is supposed to be,” Beck said.