Local martial arts gym to expand

0
38

“We’re the sexiest fighters in all of Kansas,” said Jake Lindsey.

Lindsey is a professional Jiu Jitsu fighter at the Combative Sports Center, located at 2048B Tuttle Creek Blvd.

“What we lack in terms of organization and high-tech equipment, we make up for in dedication,” he said.

For those wishing to get in shape, learn an effective form of self-defense, compete in submission-grappling tournaments or mixed martial arts competitions, Jiu Jitsu might be just the sport.

In addition to providing hours of intellectually challenging physical exercise, CSC provides its members with the technique and physical conditioning needed to consistently dominate amateur Mixed Martial Arts competitions in Kansas and submission-grappling tournaments throughout the Midwest.

“Our gym is like a big family, which is one reason why it’s the best possible place for a student of martial arts to develop their full potential,” Lindsey said.

CSC is a school of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, affiliated with Gracie Barra Miami through second degree black belt Daniel “Montanha” de Lima, he said.

Students do not need to have previous experience or be in athletic condition to join CSC. The program is designed to meet a variety of needs with an emphasis on safety and personal growth.

“I love Jiu Jitsu,” said Travis Ternes, who has trained at CSC for almost a year. “It is a really cool way to get a workout in and stay in shape. Plus, it gives you added confidence.”

Lindsey said the Gracie philosophy builds a foundation of physical, mental and spiritual strength in men and women of all ages and sizes, helping practitioners find a path to a happier, healthier lifestyle.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is more than a fighting system based on the application of submission holds, throws and strikes.

“Eating well is Jiu-Jitsu, taking care of your body is Jiu-Jitsu, saying no to cigarettes, alcohol and drugs is Jiu-Jitsu, as well as keeping a close bond with relatives and friends,” according to the Gracie Barra website, graciebarraamerica.com.

On August 2, CSC will expand into a new facility furnished with a boxing style ring, additional mat space for Jiu Jitsu practice and a variety of striking equipment for the new kickboxing program.

Women have the option of a females-only training program, and high school students can sign up with their parents’ permission.

New students at CSC first learn to develop a sense of how the positioning of one’s body and control of an opponent’s body are critical to success.

If a contest begins on foot, it is common for a contestant to attempt a “take-down,” which involves overcoming an opponent’s balance and taking them down to the ground.

One of the most common take-downs in Jiu Jitsu and MMA is the double-leg take-down, said Joe Wilk, owner of CSC. Simple yet effective and efficient, the double-leg is almost unstoppable when wielded by masters like Wilk or Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight world champion Georges St. Pierre.

Wilk said a Jiu Jitsu specialist usually prefers to take fights to the ground and secure a fast and assured victory, but savvy opponents will do everything they can to make sure that does not happen. In those situations, a Jiu Jitsu fighter must employ punches and kicks to capture the opponent’s attention and diminish take-down defense.

For this reason, Wilk said it is important for all Jiu Jitsu fighters to develop a high level of skill in stand-up fighting techniques. The basics of striking include a proper stance, adept footwork and appropriate breathing techniques.

After achieving a very high level of striking ability, a fighter can use his or her stand-up not only to secure a take-down, but also to deliver fight-ending, devastatingly powerful attacks such as a Thai roundhouse high kick.

To throw a high kick, a fighter must have developed extreme flexibility, leg power and timing, Wilk said.

Another potent stand-up attack is the superman punch. Wilk explained during this move, a fighter’s body baits an opponent into thinking a low kick is coming and then switches the body’s momentum into a bone-shattering punch.

If a take-down attempt fails, the fighters will end up in a position referred to as “The Clinch:” both fighters are standing in very close proximity and grappling for position.

There are many ways to secure control of an opponent, and one particularly effective position is the “Thai Clinch”, which involves placing one’s hands behind an opponent’s head and pulling it down, Wilk said. This effectively eliminates an opponent’s balance, rendering him incapable of effectively attacking or defending from attacks. Commonly, a fighter will deliver powerful knee strikes to his Thai-clinched opponent.

Wilk said there are thousands of different Jiu Jitsu techniques students can learn. Each school and individual competitor has a particular style and preferred routes to attaining victory.