Influx of research facilities raises K-State’s biotechnology ranking

0
17

Kansas was ranked fifth in the nation for biotechnology strength in Business Facilities’ annual rankings report.

Business Facilities is a publication for corporate real estate and site selection. Only California, Texas, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts ranked ahead of Kansas.    

The boost in Kansas’ ranking comes from the three recently awarded government research facilities — the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facitily (NBAF), the Center of Excellence for Emerging and Zoonotic Animal Diseases and the Arthropod-Borne Animal Disease Research Lab, all of which will be built in Manhattan.

Construction of the NBAF lab will create 1,500 temporary construction jobs, and the lab will offer 450 permanent jobs, according to              nbafinkansas.org.

Beth Montelone, the scientific research director at the Biosecurity Research Institute in Pat Roberts Hall, said NBAF will not only be a big boost to the local economy but also a great opportunity for K-State students.

“I believe it’ll bring some top flight federal government-sponsored research,” Montelone said. “The scientists will probably collaborate with the faculty at K-State and provide an opportunity for K-State students to get involved in that research as well.”