All Faith’s Chapel recital series brings new sound to campus

0
10

Unless students find themselves in All Faith’s Chapel quite often, they may not know that it houses the largest pipe organ in Manhattan.

Now, students will have the opportunity to hear the sounds of the 2,458 piped instrument, when it is featured in the new series, ‘Organ Music for a Wednesday Morning.”

David Pickering, assistant professor in music and the new organ instructor for the music department, started the organ series in hopes of highlighting an instrument that does not always get a great deal of attention.

Pickering is a new professor at K-State, taking the place of K-State organist and professor Mary Ellen Sutton, who retired at the end of last school year.

The series will feature Pickering and organ students in a 30-minute recital once a month.

“It’s a nice break,” said Pickering, referring to the monthly recital. “It’s an opportunity to relax and enjoy the music.”

Pickering said the organ being used in the recital, which was given to K-State in 1961 by alumni and friends, cost $50,000 and is in original tonal condition.

Peter Weinert, junior in music education and trombone performance, and one of Pickering’s students, said he is excited for the recital series and thinks it will give people an opportunity to hear music they wouldn’t always get the chance to hear.

“Part of the problem with the organ is it’s not accessible,” he said. “It’s not that people don’t like it.”

Weinert started taking organ lessons with Pickering this semester, something he said he has always wanted to try.

“You don’t just hear the music, you feel it,” he said, referring to the amount of sound that is produced by such a large instrument.

Another one of Pickering’s students, Andy Ross, senior in biology, said he thinks people might be interested in organ music if they get to hear it.

“It’s a cool sound; a good sound,” he said.

The first recital for the semester was held Aug. 25.

Pickering said he had no idea how many people would attend the recital, but with about 25 people in the audience, he said he was pleased with the attendance.

“I’m hoping the audience will grow at future recitals,” he said.

Recitals will take place Sept. 15, Oct. 27, Nov. 17 and Dec. 8, each running from 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. in All Faith’s Chapel.

Pickering said future recitals will include pieces like Johann Sebastian Bach’s famous Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

He is also hoping to find more people interested in studying and learning to play the organ.

If faculty, staff or students are interested in taking lessons, they can contact Pickering at dpickeri@ksu.edu.