International student discusses university, nightlife

0
9

Elena Buckner edge editor

Teresa Cavazzuti marks the second installment of our weekly series on international life and travel featuring K-State students who have experienced studying abroad, international students studying at K-State and students living and studying in their own countries worldwide. Cavazzuti, who lives in Carpi, Italy, is 21 years old and studies languages at the University of Bologna in Italy. Cavazzuti speaks fluent Italian and French. She also speaks English, which she admits is her weakest language.

A: About 36 hours a week; it depends on what you study, how long it takes to graduate.

A: There isn’t a real campus; there are just two buildings in which we have the lessons, and that’s all.

A: My university doesn’t offer any meal plan. There is a canteen. Generally students find their accommodation alone, but there are also university’s rooms, but they are limited.

A: The bicycle. Many students come from every part of Italy, so it’s difficult for us having a car in our university’s city.

A: I go out with my friends or my boyfriends … we do many things, spend time with friends, go to a disco, play sports.

A: We meet in front of the school and then we move to the main square; we pass the evening in a pub or two. Sometimes we meet in someone’s house and we have dinner together and then we watch a film or we play or simply we talk.

A: Thursday. People drink above all beer and [hard] alcohol. But not only that.

A: Tobacco – it’s very common. After alcohol, the most popular drug is cigarette containing some “herbs.”

A: Totally unsatisfied.

A: Americans eat a lot, and American universities represent freedom of amusement.

Deciding what to do for one of the few three-day weekends in this year’s K-State academic calendar seems tricky, but there are endless options to keep yourself entertained. Here are just a few ideas to get started.

-Wear white shoes and pants, because fashion gurus will be annoyed if you wear them again before Memorial Day.

-Go to the Konza Prairie, Pillsbury Crossing or Manhattan Hill and explore the beauty of the outdoors.

-Have a barbecue and show off your grilling prowess. Using K-State beef from Call Hall can add a Wildcat flair to the tradition.

-Go to the K-State Family Reunion and watch K-State open its football season against UCLA.

-Enjoy the extra day off and sleep in, knowing you have an extra day to get all that homework done.

-Call or go home. With an extra day, it’s a convenient time to remind the family you exist and remember them.

-Take a road trip and explore the world around Manhattan. Fill the car with goodies and enjoy the open road.

-Meet someone new – with all the K-State events happening this weekend, finding new friends should be simple.

-Go out on a date. Whether with a significant other or just a good friend, take the time to have a real conversation.

-Have a roommate excursion and explore Manhattan, doing whatever sounds fun with the people you see every day.

-Bake cookies or other yummies and munch on them all weekend without worrying about the fat content or calorie count.

-Go camping at Tuttle Creek and have mini exploration adventures in the great outdoors.

-Do crafty projects like painting, tie-dying T-shirts, making bead creatures or chalking a sidewalk or driveway.

-Go fishing or to the lake; relax in the sun while it is still warm.

-Meet your neighbors or have a block party. Maybe even throw in a barbecue while meeting new people at the same time!

Whether you decide to head outdoors for an adventure or simply stay at home and sleep all weekend, just take a moment out of your weekend to thank a laborer or two in your life. After that, go back to enjoying the long weekend.