Police Reports 9-20-10

0
64

2 people transported after K-18 accident

Police received a 911 call Friday morning about a  two-vehicle accident in which both passengers of one car were ejected from their vehicle, according to a Kansas Highway Patrol crash report.

Sherri Renae Howard and the passenger in her car, Jerry Terrell Cottingham, 35, of Abilene, were transported by Emergency Medical Service to Mercy Regional Health Center and then were airlifted to Stormont Vail in Topeka, according to a report from the Riley County Police Department.    

Howard, a Manhattan resident, was driving a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire westbound on Kansas Highway 18 and attempted to merge from the outside to the inside lane, not seeing another car, according to the crash report.

Howard, 29, swerved to the right, trying to avoid the vehicle. She was successful but then lost control and veered back across the median. James Edward Walsh, 32, of Junction City, hit the car on the driver side door, ejecting Howard and Cottingham, according to the crash report.

Lt. Herb Crosby of RCPD said Walsh was not transported anywhere.

According to the crash report, Walsh, who was driving a 2004 Acura passenger car, had no injuries and was wearing his seatbelt, though Howard and Cottingham were not wearing their seatbelts.

For almost two hours, traffic was diverted onto Davis Street, according to the report.