National, International companies hiring

0
13

Companies from the East Coast, West Coast, Midwest and overseas are on campus to assist students hoping to obtain a job or internship.

The annual All-University Career Fair takes place at Bramlage Coliseum at 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and Wednesday.

Dottie Evans, associate director for career and employment services, said the fair plans to have about 100 employers today and the same amount Wednesday.

The first letter of the company’s name decides when they set up their stand at Bramlage. Today is K-Z and Wednesday is A-J.

Evans said the fair attracts companies from all over the U.S. and internationally, although most employers are from the Midwest simply because of variables like travel cost.

“This is a good opportunity for students, even freshmen,” she said. “It is never too early to start, especially with this economy, you want to build those connections for the future now. Many companies are looking for people to fill internships for this summer.”

Sydney Case, junior in accounting, said she is going to attend to look for a summer internship.

“I don’t think it would be as easy to find one without the help from K-State and Career and Employment Services,” Case said. “They could improve on the timing of the event; I have to miss class because there are three different employers I want to look at and that means going both days to the fair.”

Fortunately, if one does have to skip out on the fall career fair. Evans said there is one in the spring, but it is college specific.

Jena Wullschleger, junior in family studies and human services, said she cannot attend the fall fair due to her schedule. She said she plans to go to the one in the spring since it is geared toward her major.

Cody Geyer, senior in open option, said he heard about the program, but probably is not going to go.

“I think it’s a good thing,” he said. “It helps lots of kids out, getting employers and such; I think it’s a good thing for others.”

The career fair provides an allotted time where students can network with companies that they are interested in but also ones they are unfamiliar with.

Evans encourages those who do attend today or Wednesday to dress professionally and bring multiple copies of their resume.