Students transform Aggiville windows into art

0
12

Ordinary storefront windowpanes in Aggieville were slowly transformed like canvases saturated with color Wednesday. Round three of All-University Homecoming commenced with student groups lining the streets for “Paint the Ville,” armed with paintbrushes and mixing trays.

Beginning at 10 a.m. and continuing until judging at 5 p.m., each assigned window from the new Bomb Bar, to the corner of The Dusty Bookshelf, to popular hot spots like Acme Gift and Thread were littered with half empty bottles of tempera paint, metal ladders and the voices of students planning and directing one another.

Though common images incorporated apple slices, yard lines and a lot of purple, each group took a slightly different approach to the task that merely required groups to adhere to time constraints and this year’s Little Apple theme, as well as protect their window from any permanent damage.

While some groups only recruited painters who had fine arts majors or obvious talent, others were happy to get all the help they could find.

Kate Murphy, freshman in elementary education and member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, said her team created a kind of paint-by-number outline so people of varying artistic talents could all participate in shifts throughout the day.

“Because we had so much creative freedom, we came up with our design through brainstorming in our Homecoming committee,” Murphy said. “It turned out to be a culmination of all our ideas.”

Other groups thrived on a more competitive spirit.

Ellesha Lecluyse, senior in biology and Homecoming chair for Kappa Delta, described her pairing’s window design as the iconic King Kong image with a Manhattan twist, complete with a Bill Snyder Statue of Liberty and Willie the Wildcat clutching the Heisman trophy.

“I love spending time with our pairing, we are all giving 110 percent to each event and we are definitely the ones to beat,” Lecluyse said.

Also making an appearance were several nongreek groups. Residence halls and other organizations and clubs represented the vast diversity in school pride.

The Black Student Union decided to participate for the first time after seeing the turnout in past years.

Despite the chilly weather, Micaela Torres, freshman in psychology, was pleased with her team’s effort to show up between classes and put in the time to create their window, which is one of the first people will see when they arrive on the strip. She said she hoped to make the participation a lasting tradition.

“Us nongreeks are like the little guys competing next to the corporate Wal-Mart, but our spirits are high,” Torres said.

The Poize Dance team, a group that performs for BSU and other campus-wide events, was established five years ago and is participating in the event for its third consecutive year.

“Clubs are involved in college life too, and we love Homecoming just as much as the next person,” said Brennan Randel, junior in apparel and textile design.

The art will remain up for people to view for the duration of the week, with the winners announced on Friday. It is debatable whether or not the bright colors will draw in more business, but they will undeniably bring a community of proud locals together.