Wellness website hosts art contest for 3rd year

0
11

Students have the opportunity for their art to be displayed in the William T. Kemper Art Gallery in the K-State Student Union this December as part of the third annual University Life Cafe Art Contest.

The contest, open to a wide variety of artistic work, is meant to promote the creative side of the website, and all students are encouraged to submit their original work.

The website, which launched in January 2009, is an interactive wellness site meant to provide students with resources on healthy lifestyles and allow them to post creative work like poetry and art. Faculty in Counseling Services administer the site, but students and staff provide the content.

“The primary purpose of the wellness website is not to just focus on negative things but to give them a place to go for information and positive interactions,” said Julie Hamel, graduate student in counseling and student development.

Hamel said the creative part of the site was something the students wanted to include.

The contest is open to all students and all kinds of art including, but not limited to, photography, paintings, sketches, mixed media, sculptures and textile designs.

The contest is a win-win situation for the website because it generates a great deal of traffic, which exposes students to the content on the site, Hamel said.

This will be the third year the site is sponsoring the contest, which has grown each year since the website launched. Hamel said last year there were more than 80 entries, and with three days left in the competition, there are already 70 entries.

To enter the contest, students must submit their original work online as a JPEG image by midnight Sunday. A panel of judges will decide which art to display in the Kemper Gallery. The art will be displayed from Dec. 2 to Dec. 22.

For more information on the University Life Cafe or to submit work for the contest, visit universitylifecafe.org.